RAID 1 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidic

Solid State Member
Hi,

I'm planning on getting a PCI to ATA RAID card so I can run a pair of WD 250GB drives in a RAID 1 configuration (mirrored). These drives will be for file storage only. My OS (Win2K) and applications will be on a separate drive connected to the mobo's onboard IDE (Primary Master).

When the mirrored WD drives are full, I plan to replace them with a fresh pair of drives. So my question: can I install just one of the full WD drives in an external firewire case for read access? Or will the drives need to be paired in the RAID 1 configuration for readability?

Thanks in advance!

im not 100% sure but it it should work.It would be the same as having an external drive .I havent looked at cases lately do they offer Firewire ports ?

if your using them for storage only... raid 1) the second drive is esentialy a copy of the first drive for backup purposess.

then why swap them both when the 250gb is full? once u take the drive out of the comp and its not running, its MTF(mean time between failure) is esentually paused. so the drive cannot die unless u throw it outa window or smash it with a hammer or something.

just swap the first full 250gb with a new one, and use the current Disk as a backup as it was for the first drive.

just swap the first full 250gb with a new one, and use the current Disk as a backup as it was for the first drive.

When my first two disks fill up, I'd like to store one off-site as a backup, and keep the other around for read-only purposes (preferably in an external drive enclosure). I'd replace those drives with fresh ones in the same RAID 1 configuration for new data.

Let me explain in a (hopefully) clearer way. Let's say I have drive A and B, which are installed internally in a RAID 1 configuration. Drive A and B fill up, so I replace them with drive C and D in the same RAID 1 configuration. Drive A will be stored off-site (in case of fire, flood, theft, etc), while drive B will be installed in an external drive enclosure for read access.

So my question is, will there be any problems moving drive B from an internal RAID 1 configuration to an external non-RAID configuration?

I've never used RAID before, so I'm just wondering if there will be any issues or problems with my plan.

Thanks for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom