Raid 1 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2005, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Raid 1

Now I'm a fan of backups, but I've always made backups of all my data just by copying and pasting to a different hard drive. However I thought that maybe using RAID 1 would be a better idea. I have a 250GB drive at the moment, and I was thinking of getting a second and running the two in RAID 1, so the disks are mirrored.

I don't have a RAID controller on my motherboard, so I'd have to get a PCI RAID controller also.

1. Is RAID 1 a good backup strategy, or a waste of money, should I stick to the old copy and paste method?

2. Is it possible to run a seperate 120GB drive for my OS (Windows XP) and software, and have the RAID running as well for my data?

3. Are PCI RAID controllers any good? I'm not about to go and buy a new motherboard just for this.

I'm really intrigued because not many people seem to run RAID in their PC's, it's mainly for datacentres, there must be a reason for this, and I don't want to just waste my money for the novelty of running RAID.

Note that as this is only for data, performance is not an issue.

Thanks in advance.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Old 11-30-2005, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

RAID 1 is not a popular drive configuration because it is expensive

RAID 1 is a good back-up strategy IMO, however I advise you pair it with a surge protector and make sure you have a decent PSU running on it...despite how reliable RAID 1 or any RAID for that matter may look, all it takes is a small voltage spike and ALL of your drives are toast

It is possible to run multiple other drives along with an existing RAID configuration, and most PCI controllers are fairly decent at doing their jobs
Intel C2D E6320 / AMD Athlon X2 3800+
Gigabyte 965P DS3 / DFI nF4 Ultra-D
2GB OCZ Gold PC2-6400 / 2GB OCZ Gold PC4000
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB / eVGA 6800GS 256MB
150GB Raptor / 74GB Raptor
2x500GB / 320GB
OCZ GameXStreme 850w / OCZ StealthXStream 600w
Closed Thread