RAID 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzmxer608

Fully Optimized
I've been thinking about maybe eventually getting new hard drives and using the two I have now (identical drives) in a raid 1 setup. I would use it for storing photos, music, and other files. I wouldn't use it as a back-up (would use a different drive to backup the files to at regular intervals) but more of a way to have a second copy of the files that are up to date at all times in case one drive would fail. Would this be a "good" (worthwhile) plan?

A few questions about raid 1. Each file will have a copy of itself on both drives, but if you edit the file, will it automatically update itself on the other? Same with deleting files? In Windows, will only one of the drives show in Computer to access and use to interact with files? I just think it would be confusing having both drives available to go into and move files around instead of 1, and then the files being mirrored "behind the scenes" so to speak.

Sorry for sounding like such a noob, I have never done anything with raid before :).

Files will automatically be updated. As a user all you will see is one logical drive - which the RAID controller takes two physical drives and makes one logical drive. So when you copy files over to the drive, edit files, delete, etc all you will see is your one drive you are doing all of this to. But the reality is the RAID controller is making all of those edits to both drives.

It is a great investment, in fact i just did the same thing. Bought a cheap controller, setup a RAID 1 with two 500 gb drives and i use it for all my storage of photos so i have some data safety (aside from backups).

If you have the money I would reccomend getting 3 exact drives for RAID 5.

Its just a cross between RAID 0 And 1, most motherboards support it, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom