RAID-0: Hype or Blessing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grego

In Runtime
I was researching raid and I came across a very nice article about the benefits of striping.

Check out http://www.tweakers.net/reviews/515/8

Part of the Conclusion:
"AnandTech and Storage Review should be wise to investigate matters more thoroughy before jumping to quick conclusions. You don't judge a Porsche on its capabilities to carry groceries. A car like that serves a different purpose, and it should be judged on that instead - even if it will never fulfill its true purpose in real life. Power users, tweakers and hardware enthusiasts, the target audience AnandTech, Storage Review and Tweakers.net try to please, use their desktop systems in a different way than the pretty blonde next door who only uses it to check her Hotmail account. What we're trying to say is that you shouldn't assess the performance of RAID 0 with benchmarks that are not made to test the performance of the storage subset. AnandTech and Storage Review's negative verdict on RAID 0 in the desktop environment will likely have a profound influence on the opinions of uninformed users for years to come. A sure loss, since their verdict couldn't stand up to trial."

I can speak from signifiacant expreience in this area, and RAID 0 has a very nice imporvement in speed over standard I/O. in SATA or PATA both show a dramitc improvement in data handling ability. I use it almost extensivly now...
My 2 cents...

I personally love my RAID 0 array. It makes data access a whole lot faster and it's much more convenient to have 1 big drive than 2 small drives. I think sometimes, it depends on what drives you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom