Raid 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

highrisk

Baseband Member
I currently have two 120GB SATA drives in RAID 0, and my question is can I add in an additional 250GB HDD into my RAID configuration?

Reason I ask, is I'm not sure if the drives need to be the same size, or if you can use an odd number of drives, or must it be even?

Thanks.

well u can. BUT it would be limited to only using 120gig of it, so bit of a waste really. u can use the odd number of drives no problem

you can use any size drives you want in a raid 0/1/0+1 array. BUT the size of the drives will be limited to the smallest drive so ya :( pointless to get a 5 gb hdd and pair it with a 400gb hdd in a raid 0/1/0+1 array

I have...

P4 Prescott 3.2Ghz OC'd to 3.6Ghz
1GB Corsair Value RAM
Dual 120GB SATA 7200RPM HDD's
UATA 80GB HDD for Backup Purposes
AGP 6600GT

I've been thinking about getting a 10000RPM SATA HDD for my Primary Partition, but I was also thinking about expanding my other array with a 250GB HDD from Newegg for $130 - cause I'd like to get rid of my UATA HDD, it slows down POST tremendously.

So, I guess I'll just make it an independant drive.

Just get two more 120gbs and run a RAID 0+1 array. For me it seems like two 7200rpm hard drives in RAID 0 are faster than my 10k raptor.

Anyone else believe two 120GB 7200RPM SATA drives in RAID0 are the same speed as a 10000RPM Raptor?

Yes, only becuase you are using 2 divided into 1. But once you hook up 2 WD Raptors running on raid0, then you have some serious speed. I have that on my system, i can load BF maps in 4-6 seconds.

That's just entirely too expensive, also considering when I purchase any new HDD's - I'll need to get a PCI to SATA controller, as well - seeing my motherboard only has 2 SATA channels...

But then he would have to buy new hard drives and very expensive ones at that. I think the RAID 0+1 would give him the best of both worlds. 240GB of very fast storage, and data security for all of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom