Radeon naming scheme?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftEyeBlind

In Runtime
I don't get it.. Someone explain it to me (never owned an ATI card) ...I'm familiar with nvidias, so caparisons won't hurt.

RV700? What? Why do they suddenly stick HD infront of all their card names? Is it still even called Radeon?

RV700 is the chip in the card, like the G92 is in the Nvidia. The HDxxxx is the actual model of the card, such as 3870, 3650, 3450. The numbers are self-explaining. The 4xxx is the upcoming line, the 3xxx is the current, the 2xxx is the last one, and so on.

If you want an explanation of the 50's and 70's heres one:

50's- represent the former Pro generation
70's- represent the former XT generation

Did they always have the HD, I thought that was new? What does it stand for?

On wikipedia I see cards that start with X.

They shifted to it after x1000 series, all they really did was replace X with HD, maybe it has to do with being HDCP Complaint?

ATi originally had chips called ATi Rage. After that, they started making Radeon chips. The first Radeon chips were just numbered (Radeon 7000, Radeon 8000, Radeon 9000). The next series were the X series (Radeon X1000, X1300, X1600, X1900, X1950). Then they came out with the Radeon HD 2000, HD 3000, and now HD 4000. I got an X1600Pro a few years ago for my desktop to replace an nVidia GeForce4 MX 420 but I'll never again buy ATi because of their horrible driver support, especially in Linux. nVidia is very well supported, much more than ATi.

ATi originally had chips called ATi Rage. After that, they started making Radeon chips. The first Radeon chips were just numbered (Radeon 7000, Radeon 8000, Radeon 9000). The next series were the X series (Radeon X1000, X1300, X1600, X1900, X1950). Then they came out with the Radeon HD 2000, HD 3000, and now HD 4000. I got an X1600Pro a few years ago for my desktop to replace an nVidia GeForce4 MX 420 but I'll never again buy ATi because of their horrible driver support, especially in Linux. nVidia is very well supported, much more than ATi.
I've found their Windows drivers to be really good on my 3870's. Crossfire works like it should even in XP x64...

Though I am pretty sure ATI drivers are a lot better now than before AMD acquired them, especially Linux drivers

Their Linux drivers aren't up to Nvidia's standards yet, but it seems AMD is putting far more effort into them than ATI ever did before...

Apok, do you think 3870 crossfire will be better then a single 4870? Because I saw them going really cheap at best buys and I have a crossfire board. I might wait for them to get ridiculously cheap and then pick 2 up, if they are better then a single 4870 that is.

My Radeon X1600pro doesn't work AT ALL with AMD's new drivers. AMD does seem to be putting work into it, but what disappointed me was the latest Windows release had broken AGP support for Direct3d, so my card wouldn't work in D3D at all, I had to reinstall XP and used an older driver that came with my card. This was a while ago, so that may be fixed, but I'm not going to upgrade because it's working good now. I think they ported one of the faulty versions, though some people say AGP works in Linux, I've tried everything and can't get it to work. I'm waiting on the RadeonHD opensource driver that will provide opensource support for the X1k and HD series.

You left out the X300 and up cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom