rackmount questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeikHunter

Solid State Member
hello all, i have about half a dozen comps sitting in my room back home while i sit out in the desert and collect hostile fire pay. needless to say, conditions at home are about as cramped & hot as they are over here, with all those cases piled up blowing hot air all over the place. so now that ive got some cash to spare, and will shortly have a whole lot of free time, i want to rackmount.

ive looked into it in the past, and figured out (correctly, i hope) that standard comp components like mobos and psus are compatible with most rackmount cases, so ive started searching newegg and watching prices on the ebay. if worse comes to worse, i can fab up some cases like ive seen on hackaday, but the thing that still gets to me is where can i find the thing to mount them in? im not even sure if its called a chassis, a case, a rack, or a closet. every place i see, like ebay etc, has them all labeled differently, and most everything i find is more than im willing to spend.

so, fabrication! ive put some thought into this too, but not having ever seen one, and knowing only 2 standard dimensions (19" wide and 1U=1.75") it makes it kinda difficult. so heres where i need some help:
does someone know where i might be able to find a cheap rackmount holder thing, what are they technically called, does anyone know of a guide to build a decent size (30-40U, maybe?) one, and if not, could 'metal lumber' be used to build one?

oh, attached is what my room looks like back at the house

Attachments

• compssmall.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 26
Holy **** that's alot of stuff.

What you really want is a half height 19" rack.

EDIT: They are usually used for network equipment (Routers and switches) and servers, as well as audio equipment. I have a half height 19" rack I aqquired. Most of the racks you will be able to find will be complex.

yeah, and thats just the stuff i use more often. got a graveyard in the garage, heh. i want to put it all to good use and get a good home network going. i want to assign each one of those comps to a task, like a fileserver, a router/firewall box, media player/editor and of course, a gaming rig.

half height 19" rack, ok! if you dont mind, how much did you get yours for, or how much would it be reasonable to pay for one?

ZeikHunter said:
yeah, and thats just the stuff i use more often. got a graveyard in the garage, heh. i want to put it all to good use and get a good home network going. i want to assign each one of those comps to a task, like a fileserver, a router/firewall box, media player/editor and of course, a gaming rig.

half height 19" rack, ok! if you dont mind, how much did you get yours for, or how much would it be reasonable to pay for one?

Don't know the prices, I got mine for free :rolleyes:

i searched the ebay, found some serviceable ones for ~$200. 44U, too. just want i was looking for. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom