rack mount computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

WebNutz

Beta member
I am taking control of my own web destiny and hosting my own websites!

I need to purchase several rack mount computers and wanted to solicit feedback on the good rack mount computer players and bad rack mount computer players ( not the ugly rack mount computer players).

Please respond with any and all experience in rack mount computer manufacturers and retailers.

I need to make a decision on which rack mount computers to purchase in rather short order so respond quickly (please).

are you looking for a server system or just a regular computer in a rack mount case?

Also, do you plan on doing this with a regular broadband line or a T1 or higher?

I am planning on using it, initially for a regular broadband connection. However, if possible I would like to have the capability to upgrade to a fractional or full T if I do not get the level of service with the broadband connection.

Please define Server System or Regular Computer.

Well, you can spend $4000 easy on a barebones web server. that's with a gig of memory, 2 raid drives and a Xeon proc. They cost so much because of the coolling, dual redundant power supplies and the cpu's just pull right out. Among other things.

If you just want a web server for your house then buy an old P2, throw Linux on it and Apache web server (comes with many distrabutions of Linux) and do it that way. Make sure your ISP allows this (many don't) and make sure you have a static IP.

Let me put it this way. I have several websites, one of which is an e-com site. These sites must be up. The reason that I started looking at rack mount computers was that I wanted to have 2-3 computers neatly rack mounted. That way I had scalability and if I have a hw/sw problem on one I could switch to the other.

Based on 2-3 production websites, one being an e-com site and uptime being very criitical. what would you recommend. And, oh yea cost is an issue but not the main driving issue.

Then get one web server and a t1 line. One one well made web server you can host hundreds of sites. Just make sure it has a Raid array (which all professional servers have) and you'll be set.

You can't do what you need to do with a regular DSL/cable connection.

What about redundancy. With a single rack mounted computer I do not have a backup.

Do the rack mounted computers you are referring to have processor/ NIC/ m-board/etc redundancy or at least hot swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom