r520 delayed for ATi AMR - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Default r520 delayed for ATi AMR

Quote:
ATI is now focusing on Multi VPUs as it realised that it desperately need an answer to Nvidia's SLI. Even if ATI launches the R520 next month, Nvidia will still beat it with its two 6800 Ultra cards, so what ATI really needs is that Multi VPU. First release Multi VPU, then move to R520, thatÂ’s the current plan.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23097

nonononononono, this is stupid, stupid, stupid. It would be better if they devoted this time to dual GPU cards instead of dual card solutions, I think they're simply worried about two G70s in SLI as competetion as Ultras in SLI wouldn't stand a chance against the r520 (based on the specs that have come out), and they wanna be able to counter it, but this is freaking stupid.

They desperately need the PS3.0 support from the r520 and they need to gain a single card edge on nVidia. They do not need to stupidly double up dying cards.

eVGA 8800GTS 320MB / eVGA 6800GS 256MB
150GB Raptor / 74GB Raptor
2x500GB / 320GB
OCZ GameXStreme 850w / OCZ StealthXStream 600w
Old 05-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Yeah. That's my feeling too. At the moment they are only playing catch up Nvidia. They desperately need a winner if you will. And yeah, doubling up dying cards is not the answer :-\.. They need to restore gamers' faith in them again.....

Old 05-09-2005, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Agreed to all said comments.

I would have easily started leaning towards ATI if they would release this FUDO card and have it be a ridiculous destroyer of a 6800U than them delay the crap and worry about making their own SLI type setup. Damn ATI....following suite is all they are doing now.....whatever happened to companies being creative and coming up with something new

"Nah nah ours isn't SLI"

You got two cards right?

"Yeah"

...that work together on one game

"yeah"

Hows that not SLI?

"Well see ours is MVP, that's completely different, the acronyms stand for different things, WAY different you see"

Riiiiight

"Ours draws a checkerboard pattern too"

Oh yea ok that makes everything different
Old 05-09-2005, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
I Rule You

Send a message via AIM to FadingTheory Send a message via Yahoo to FadingTheory

ATI is dead to me now. Its when your behind that your supposed to make new technologies... its not a time to be defensive and play catch-up.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally posted by Nubius
Agreed to all said comments.

I would have easily started leaning towards ATI if they would release this FUDO card and have it be a ridiculous destroyer of a 6800U than them delay the crap and worry about making their own SLI type setup. Damn ATI....following suite is all they are doing now.....whatever happened to companies being creative and coming up with something new

"Nah nah ours isn't SLI"

You got two cards right?

"Yeah"

...that work together on one game

"yeah"

Hows that not SLI?

"Well see ours is MVP, that's completely different, the acronyms stand for different things, WAY different you see"

Riiiiight

"Ours draws a checkerboard pattern too"

Oh yea ok that makes everything different
Makes ATI far more efficent at "SLI" though
Old 05-09-2005, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

They have an edge as sources are claiming that the r520 is ready to go and they are simply waiting on ATi announcing their release. If they were smart they would get an edge on nVidia and release it now, and then worry about the crap AMR later.

Especially since drivers from this last generation were such a hard hitting downfall to otherwise good cards, they should worry about getting those right with their single cards, since AMR requires even more driver bug fixes and blah blah blah.

One powerful card will always be more popular than having to buy two cards for some stupid reason, the first company to realise this gets a cookie.
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB / eVGA 6800GS 256MB
150GB Raptor / 74GB Raptor
2x500GB / 320GB
OCZ GameXStreme 850w / OCZ StealthXStream 600w
Old 05-09-2005, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I thought that SLI had no future; it's still un compatiable with some stuff even....
120 gig PATA Hard drive
128 mb AGP 8x ATI Radeon 9250
300 watt 12 volt psu
Antec SLK 1600 case
Old 05-09-2005, 06:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

for us educated geeks, it has no future. for the naive public out there who looks at alienware and dell commercials, it has a helluva a future.

ATI pissed me off when they didnt include PS 3.0 with the X800/X850 series. off course, i didnt learn this until after i got the X850 XT. Anyway, i was really looking forward to the R520, as i have always been ATI supporter. they have been losing my faith though...

-AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchestor
-MSI K8N Neo4-F
-Sapphire Radeon X850 XT
-2x 1024 Corsair XMS Pro

<form action=\"http://www.srsyo.org/tfsearch.php\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value="Search!"></form> Search TF before you post!
Old 05-09-2005, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Makes ATI far more efficent at "SLI" though
Not really, besides I believe SLI has two methods of rendering. One being the top half and bottom half way, and the other is the every other line way.

For a checkerboard pattern chances are there'd just be that many more issues to stamp out trying to make the games compatible and the drivers smooth.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Apparently the hype and glamour of SLI and the top benchmarks mean a lot more than in the more practical world where a handful of people can afford or need dual graphics cards. kinda surprising to me actually.

Closed Thread