quick ram question please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

axiomflash

Baseband Member
Is RAM actually sold in 'dual channel' type, or is this just how it can be setup. For example if i Have a mobo that supports dual channel ram, then will any set of 2 identical ram sticks work as dual channel. Or do I have to buy ram that is specified as 'dual channel'?

Also, do you think there would be a comparable difference seen between the performance of pc 2700 and pc 3200 ram? thanks for your help!!!

There is a difference between pc3200, and pc2700 RAM, they are different speeds. Your mb might not support pc3200. RAM comes in dual channel each stick is dc, you can either have one or two. Does that help?

I don't know. my motherboard definitely supports 3200, thats not a worry. but i just read somewhere that memory companies selling ram as 'dual channel ram' is just a marketing scheme. it can be any type of campatible ram. do you know if thats right?

and for speed, i am wondering if it would just be worth the price difference or not between the two speeds.

I am not the most knowledgable on this subject. But I have Geil dc pc3200 at 400mhz, in the bios it is at 200mhz, but because its dc it runs at 400mhz.

In order to operate in dual channel mode, both sticks of RAM should be of the same speed/specs. They do not have to be a matched pair but this simply ensures that they will work in dual channel together. Your MOBO manual should tell you the slots which will let you operate in DC mode since the sticks have to be in the appropriate slots.

Yes, ram is not programmed to be 'dual channel' so there is technically no such thing as 'dual channel 'ram, it's just when you buy the kits that are like 2x512 they've been tested in dual channel and are insuring that it will indeed work in dual channel. Both your motherboard and CPU have to support it. If your motherboard has 3 slots chances are you need to put it in channel 1 and 3 for DC because dimm1 and dimm2 are channel A and dimm3 is channel B. If you have 4 slots it could very well be the sticks placed right next to eah other for DC. If you only have 2 slots chances are it won't support DC but you should check your manual or manufacturer website to make sure

yes Nubius is right, when you buy 'dual channel RAM' it means they are selling 2 sticks of RAM in the one package
the difference of PC2700 to PC3200 is definately worth it, I'd say PC3200 should be minimum for gamers ATM especially for higher end games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom