Quick Ram Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolancer

Daemon Poster
I have 2GB's of Kingstion value ram (1GBx2)

and i just noticed on part of the box it says that its "not duel - channel compatable"

now i thought that duel channel support was controled by the motherboad, not the ram. am i wrong?

since i have 2 of these exact same sticks of ram wouldnt thy work in duel channel? or can 2 exact matching sticks of ram realy stop duel channel from working?

Note - i was just thinking that becuase these are 1GB (1 stick each) each sold in a seperate retail package, that may be the reason why they stated there not duel channel compatible... becuase perhaps thy assumed that peaple would be using only 1 stick and not 2 together?

Let me know what you think.

The 2 sticks will still run dual channel. You were right, jolancer, dual channel is determined by the motherboard.

The RAM doesnt have to be identical to run dual channel. If they are the same product, just with 2 boxes, then there wont be any problem running dual channel.

If, by some strange weird chance, you cant run in dual channel, dont worry about it because dual channel only gives you 1% to 5% performance increase.

...and, don't get 2GB, it's useless unless you are running Windows 64-bit and FX-57 or X2... 1GB ram sticks also have bad timings...

Elbatrop1 - Thx for info, thats what i thought. the stupid box was just confusing me. cause thats what i heard that the mobo is duel channel dependent.. but i never researched it for myself.

pc_boy said:
...and, don't get 2GB, it's useless unless you are running Windows 64-bit and FX-57 or X2... 1GB ram sticks also have bad timings...

Its a good thing you mention that... so others dont get the impression that 2gbs gives any better performance then 1GB.

anyone reading this should note - i only got 2GB's because i bought them retail but with a realy realy good deal and a trick... so the 2GB's costed me less then the 1GB corsair duel channel kit at Chiefvalue.com for $80. ;)

This ram is going to a computer im puting to gether to sell anyway, so i dont care if it runs duel channel (witch it will though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom