quick motherboard question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyline

Beta member
Hey all, new here.
Just looking for some answers right quick.

In about 4 weeks or so i'm going to start building my own PC.
I have a list of pretty much all the hardware i'll need.

however, i'm slightly confused over a certain aspect of the motherboard and PCI-E video cards.

The motherboard I plan to buy is an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD

the video card i will be purchasin is a Geforce 6800GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16

what i'm confused about is the whole nForce4 SLI aspect of the motherboard, is that basically an on-board video card? because if it is wouldn't it be pointless in installing the 6800GS?

or would it be considered an upgrade? or.... would the two combine forces and create one super graphics card :p hehe j/k.

Any help VERY appreciated. Thanks.

It means that if you buy 2 of the same videocards(that are SLI compatable) the mobo will let you run the 2 video cards together (with better performance)

Or if you only have 1 video card (nvidia or ATI) it will run them as a single video card.

oohhhh awesome, so basically installing the 6800 GS isn't a waste... and if i were to buy another of the exact same kind.... it would double the performance? or just improve it somewhat?

errr crap... from further reading... i think from what i understant only the 7900 series cards are SLI capable...

is this true?

Actually, some of the 6800 series can be used in SLI. I'm not sure of which, other than they are the top end (Ultra and GT for sure, maybe the vanilla as well).

Any nForce4 motherboard, be it a plain, Ultra, SLI, or SLIx32, does not have onboard video. Basically, if you don't put in a graphics card, you have no graphics.

For pretty much the same money, you can go with a 7600GT. That will give you better performance, and it can be used in a SLI. Here's a good one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130283

oh amazing man... you just answered like 3 more questions i was about to ask.... thanks a ton.

Trotter is right, I use 2 of the 7600 cards and they work well together. Also they do not require extra power like the 6800 and other cards do (that way you dont need a huge Power supply)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom