Quick Memory Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MADWAD

In Runtime
I just installed 1 gig of Corsair memory (Pc3200) and tried to use my Kingston memory (512mb-pc3200) but when i turn on my system i just get a black screen? I took out the 512 kingston memory and left the 1 gig corsair in and my computer booted fine? Whats the deal here? What could i try? Thanks in advance

You don't really need the extra 512 of kingston.

Does it boot fine with just the Kingston?

You can also try running memtest with the memory.

Have you tried it in different DIMM slots??

Nah, it's actually 2 gig. I haven't tried different dimm slots (does it matter how i put them in, do both corsair modules have to be next to each other? and yes it boots fine with just the kingston. I'll switch them up and see if that works.

Doesn't make any sence. Should run just fine with both/three sticks in in any slot you put them into. The only mem that demanded the slot compliance issues was/is RAMBUS. Either it was not sugged down into the mem slot or, for some reason, the 512 stick has some issues. By the way, more mem is always a good thing! However, if your all hung up on running dual channel mem. just install the new mem cross sloted in the same position. It depends on the mobo.....actually. My intel D865PERL will run dc cross slot or same slot double.

Make sure the ram is pushed all the way down into the dimm slot. The first time i upgraded ram i added an additional dimm to the one

i had...i didn't have the new dimm all the way in and when i would

boot up it would hang on a black screen...or one of the kingston

modules could be damaged.

Ok, I tried a few things. First i used just my kingston Ram to boot my computer with no problems.(I did this with my kingston and corsair ram seprately) I then switched from dimm1 to dimm2 (booted no problem) then from dimm2 to dimm3 (booted no problem at all). I would persume theres nothing wrong with the kingston or my new corsair. So could it be my BIOS? my version is 1002 whereas the newest version is 1007, i haven't flashed my system with a new BIOS since i bought the thing (almost 3 years ago). Maybe????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom