quick bios question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dale5605

Daemon Poster
I've never tweaked with this setting before
AGP graphics aperature size?

what's an optimum setting for my vid card? :rolleyes:

I'am totally guessing on this, as I've never done this but wanting to know, the size is measured in MB correct? I'am guessing it's the graphics card memory since mine is set to 128MB, but, I could be wrong. :)

On my BIOS it lists numbers starting at 4, then 8, 16, etc. until 256. I don't think it directly correlates to the memory though, considering mine is set at 64. And I think if it was limiting my memory to that then my card would not perform nearly as well.

I could be thinking of something totally different, anyways if you find out be sure to let me know

I may be corrected, but the docs that came with my BFG said to set the appature to the same size as the memory of the card that you have installed.

Wonder why.... I set mine to 2x the size of my card, and my bios goes upto 512, which odly is the same ammount of system RAM i have........

the AGP Aperture is the amount of system memory your video card will use when it runs out of it's own VRAM. I have 1gb of memory so I thought it'd be ok to use 256mb, but I think I found out last night, that was the reason for my games crashing when trying high FSB's.

I'd say 256mb if you have 1gb and 128mb if you have 512mb, although 128mb should be an optimal setting for most.

But doesn't your graphics ram factor into that? I mean I have 256mb on the graphics card so mine could be lower like 64 and still run good right? But if I had a 64mb vid card I might want to put it up to 256. Someone check me on this logic.

Well I know the books say put it to the amount of graphics card RAM you have, but EHHH, I don't think much more than 128mb is necessary simply because your system is trying to use the RAM, then you're trying to suck out RAM for your graphics card to use, sooo too much of it = no good.

Also, dale, I'm not 100% positive on this, but I've heard like..128mb might be the best setting compared to 256mb of 64mb regardless if obviously your card has enough RAM....even if i had 2gb of RAM and a 512mb card I'd probably still have it at 128mb, although yes I believe 64mb would be fine also..

I don't think anyones noticed any actual performance gains or losses from changing the aperture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom