Questions Regarding Hot-Swapping Motherboards - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question Questions Regarding Hot-Swapping Motherboards

I currently have a D845PEBT2 motherboard from Intel. I have 1 Gig of Corsair XMS PC2700 RAM. I am using Windows XP Pro.

The thing is I really wish I bought an Asus P4PE-X mobo as it is a better board than Intel's in that it allows overclocking and more controls through the BIOS.

My Question is, Can I simply Hot-Swap an Asus P4PE-X in place of the one I have? Will there be issues? Currently installed on my system is the Intel Application Accelerator so I may have to uninstall that prior to the swap right? But another thing is this CHIPSET needed the Chipset Instalation Utility Installed also. The 2 boards have the same chipset, so will this be a problem? I have so many questions regarding this cause I will have to remove everything out of my current MOBO including my heatsink that I had to bolt into the Board itelf and after I do all that, and it won't work for some reason, I will have to switch it all back.

I really don't feel like reinstalling windows xp again as I have done that 7 times in the last year, and I have a ton of apps to install on top of that.

If anyone can give me any insight on this I would really appreciate it. I just hope since the 2 boards have the same chipset, it wont be a problem to Hot-Swap them.

Thanks in advance,

Old 02-15-2004, 05:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

the best way and the way i would do it is reinstall the operating system. you avoid a lot of potential problems. if you insist you can do this:

Swapping your board without so much as a reinstall (243kB of images)
http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...4&m=1400925745

Old 02-16-2004, 12:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Personally I don't think it would work even though the 2 mobo's have the same chipsets ...
That's a stupid feature M$ incorporated in XP ..If more than 8 hardware devices change at a time .. the OS will not boot up.U end up with a BSOD.

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.
Creative DDTS100 Decoder, Creative Inspire TD7700 7.1 Speakers

Search TF B4 u post { Thanks for this one! Emily :) }
<form action=\"http://www.theriddlehouse.com/random/tfsearch.php\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Old 02-16-2004, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

If i change a PCI card i reformat and install.I really dont recommand hot swapping.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

LOL

Deadguy.. Guess u have plenty of time .. don't ya ..?

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.
Creative DDTS100 Decoder, Creative Inspire TD7700 7.1 Speakers

Search TF B4 u post { Thanks for this one! Emily :) }
<form action=\"http://www.theriddlehouse.com/random/tfsearch.php\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Closed Thread