Questions on computer usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

feelinit

Beta member
I'm doing a project on computer usage, and I'm having a hard time finding answers to couple questions. I was hoping I could get some help here.
-What is the timeline of a computer? (not the history of computers, but the individual lifespan of a computer)
-What impact does the use of computers have on the environment? (remember USAGE, not production)
Thank you.

(I apologize if this is the wrong section, I wasn't quite sure where to post this.)

As for lifespan of a computer...there's really no way to tell. TOo many variables to consider. A component could fry, it could be dead right outta the box, depends how much the computer is being used (e.g. overclocked, running high-demanding apps, etc).

generaly a mobo that is taken good care of can last up to or longer than 10 years. and a cpu that is not overclocked can last up to something like 100 years.

but i could be wrong. so dont quote me on this stuff.

I'm doing a project on computer usage, and I'm having a hard time finding answers to couple questions. I was hoping I could get some help here.
-What is the timeline of a computer? (not the history of computers, but the individual lifespan of a computer)
-What impact does the use of computers have on the environment? (remember USAGE, not production)
Thank you.

(I apologize if this is the wrong section, I wasn't quite sure where to post this.)

1. Depends on the usage and the parts and the owner.
You got people like use that might change a computer around every 6 months to 1 year.
You got the typical user that might do that in about 3-5 years.
And then you have old people like my father that will still keep a computer running for about 10 years + plus just because paid a lot of money on it back then, and he too stubborn to realised that he can purchase some thing much more powerful for a less price today.

2. Consult your electricity bill for that. You might want to comment on the disposal of computer that the fact that we are not doing enough to recycle e-waste.
Like I took 4 perfectly working computer that were about 7+ years old down to a computer recycler because there is no value in them.

timeline:

define purporse - what do i need the computer for? can i justify the cost?

plan purchase - define budget, select parts based on need

make purchase

build computer

and since all my builds are absolutely perfect. i never ever have to rebuild my machine. /sarcasm

syke, part(s) break.

time to purchase new or replace part. rinse & repeat

A computer usually becomes obsolete and is discarded before it actually finishes its potential lifespan. Unless a component fails (which happens, but only in a small minority), a computer can run for ten years or more easily. I just tossed an old Packard Bell that was ten years old and still chugged along. It was about as fast as a doorstop, but it still worked fine... and had all original components.

I remember when processors where first being developed that they designed them to last a minimum of ten years.

I do know that most companys TRY to design computers that will last ten years if taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom