questions before mobo install

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerfootball05

In Runtime
I just got my mobo in the mail today and was wondering what i should do with it. I have a monitor, my case, and my mobo and thats it but i want to check to see what my case looks like all lit up and stuff which i can do now that i have my mobo. the question is will it be safe/wise to install my mobo onto my case's removeable mobo tray now, plug in the fans and psu, see how it all looks, and then install the rest of the stuff (cpu, Ram, etc...) later with my mobo in the tray. Also if i install now how can i protect against frying my mobo from static, like if my mobo even touches metal will it fry or how does this static stuff work? Thanks for any help!

p.s. my mobo needs a 24 pin connector but i have heard that i can just connect the PSUs 20 pin connecter into the 24 pin and still be ok, is this true? thanks!

what mobo/psu do you have?

it probably WILL work, but it's not recommended

you should really get a 24pin psu

mobo is MSI K8N neo4 Platnium nforce 4 ultra

400W PSU came with case (although sport#### has the same one and about the same setup as mine and says he has had no problems). Its got 18amps on the 12V rail so...doesn't that mean its decent?

Static charge builds up on your body as you move around and rub electrons onto or off of the air and objects that surround you. The case of your PC - being a fairly big lump of metal - will have a nominal neutral potential, so a voltage (sometimes 10's or 100's of thousands of volts) can exist between your body and the case. If 1 side of the component is touching the case and you touch the other side of the circuit - you're body will discharge through the component and fry it. You won't see this - but trust me it will happen. You can buy anti-static wrist straps £5 that either bond you to the case or to the earth plug of your mains or to an anti-static mat if you are working on one of those - so you can carefully touch components. If you don't have this - you should discharge by touching the metal case of PC before anything else at the very least - but remember that charge builds up on your body just by air moving past your skin so keep touching the case regularly - or buy a strap. Hope this helps.

the onboard sound MIGHT not work (but i think that's in the SLI version)

not only is a 24pin psu recommended, but any case psu except tt and antec is crap

diabloII said:
the onboard sound MIGHT not work (but i think that's in the SLI version)

not only is a 24pin psu recommended, but any case psu except tt and antec is crap

Yep you don't want to stick with the PS they give you.

For an expensive PC, I will never do that again, back in the p3 days a PS took out an entire computer.

Just make sure that you put the motherboard standoffs in the right place. Check and make sure that all of the stand off's line up with your motherboard screw holes BEFORE you screw them in. If you place a standoff in the wrong spot you'll fry the board.

-GrayWolf

So what is the worst thing that will happen if i use the case's psu? Will it fry the whole system or just destroy itself? Also will the building process go smoother if i wait to install my mobo onto the removeable tray, because all the guides i have read say to install cpu and ram onto the mobo before installing the mobo into the case.

And does This psu have 20 or 24 pin connectors?
How bout This one?

Will those two PSUs work well?

tigerfootball05 said:
mobo is MSI K8N neo4 Platnium nforce 4 ultra

400W PSU came with case (although sport#### has the same one and about the same setup as mine and says he has had no problems). Its got 18amps on the 12V rail so...doesn't that mean its decent?

I dont have that mobo. I do have an nForce4 though.

ok so i'm installing the standoffs right now and im not sure if im supposed to put the washers between the mobo and the standoff or between the tray and the standoff? sprry for the noob question, but i am a noob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom