Questions about wireless hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

freenet

Baseband Member
I recently bought a D-link wireless router with notebook card to use with my comcast cable internet. I installed and setup everything up fine. Sometimes the laptop wireless connects at 11mbps and sometimes it connects at 54mbps. I've looked through all the software to find something about connection speed and found nothing. Does anyone know what would effect this. Is this a software thing or could it be a hardware issue? I've tried moving the router around to no avial. I'll try a few more things before I call the manufacturer.

Thanks for any help Guys and gals

Sometimes that will happen if your Connection Strength is at a low level. Typically, the higher the level of signal strangth, the faster the tranfer rate.

-Dan The Man

Alot of the time I am sitting within 10ft from the router with perfect signal strength so distance shouldnt be an issue in this case

i get the same problem.. but only when the phone rings. wireless 802.11b and 802.11g are both on 2.4ghz frequency. well so are most wireless telephones (some are 900mhz and some 5.0ghz). so when the phone rings it interupts of the signal. its possible you have the same problem

Mine kept flicking between 54 and 11mbps too. When I gave in and called tech support they simply told me to change the channel in the card's properties, easy as that and the problem sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom