Questions about RAM and front side bu

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
Take the computer in my sig for example. The processor has 333 FSB and the RAM is PC3200. Will the RAM only run at PC2700 speed?

That depends on the MCC, or Memory Controler Chip, located in the Northbridge chip on your motherboard. Read your motherboard manual for information on max ram speeds. Although it is said that the ideal setup is one that has matched throughput in both your processor's connection to the northbridge and your memory's connection as well, you can use faster RAM but as your question asked, you will suffer a bottleneck which will only allow 2700MB/s throughput. Hope that helps...

So in other words, if I have PC3200 RAM in my system, it will act as PC2700?

:::EDIT::: The reason I ask is this: When the computer boots up, it lists the memory frequency at 200 MHz, which is PC3200. However, when I try to lower the RAM timings to the advertised 2.5-3-3-6, the computer randomly restarts during Call of Duty. When I lower the RAM speed to 166 MHz, or PC2700 (right?), I can lower the timings with no random restarts while playing. I ran 3DMark2001 and got about 100 points higher with the RAM frequency at 166 MHz and 2.5-3-3-6 as opposed to 200 MHz with 3-3-3-8. Am I correct in thinking that I should keep the RAM frequency at PC2700 to match the FSB of the CPU? To make a long story short (too late) is it better to run the RAM at a higher frequency and slower timings or with the RAM matching the FSB of the CPU with lower timings? I'm assuming the latter, but I wanted to check with you guys.

I went into BIOS and did the "By SPD" thing and now at start up the memory frequency is 200 MHz, even though my CPU frequency is at 166 MHz. Why is it like that? Should I manually put the RAM on 166 MHz and manually lower the timings to 2.5-3-3-6?

Try what options you have and run a benchmark when you are done. That is probably the best way to do it. When setting DRAM SPD (Serial Presense Detect) to "Enable", the EEPROM that stores the the RAM information simply transfers that information to the BIOS where the BIOS decides what will be the most reliable and quickest setup. Some chips won't function if you don't have SPD enabled or if you don't have the exact parameters entered. In your case you have some options so test them. If you get no fatal exception errors and your benchmarks are showing your custom setups is faster, I would stick with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom