Questions about a new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsp2man

Baseband Member
I was planning on building a new system, well most of one. This is what I'm looking at:

-Athlon 64 3000+ (Winchester core of course)
-MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
-2 WD Caviar SE HDDs SATA, in RAID-0

I'm expecting to overclock the system of course. Winchester core and mobo should do a good job of that while keeping the system cost relatively low. For my graphics card, I will carry over my 9800Pro and probably flash it to XT. My memory will be carried over as well, Corsair TwinX1024-3200XL. PSU will unfortunately have to be my faithful Enermax 350 Whisper. If it is not stable enough, then I will have to swap it out for an Antec NeoPower 480 or something. Hoping that it will run OK though.

Now, some problems that I am facing. I have heard that Caviar SE drives run badly in Raid-0. Is this true? If so, then what HDDs would you reccomend. I know that Raptors are fast, but are a little expensive for me, so I'm going to stick with some high capacity ones for now. Another thing is will the graphics card reach its full potential running this CPU at default speeds. I do not want to build a system in the hopes of it overclocking well only to learn that it does not fair that well. It is not a sure thing if you know what I mean. Last but certainly not least, don't mind reccomending that I get a new PSU right away if you think that the Enermax will not suffice for now. I'm just not sure on this one. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it, though I know that Google can work wonders. Can't always trust theory and reviewers though ;-)

Don't know much about your hard drives that you've listed, although I don't quite understand how they would work badly in a RAID 0, unless you mean they are unreliable, in which case, yes I would agree with you.

Your video card should work fine with your CPU, you'll probably be able to overclock your 3000+ to at least a 3500+, probably more though.

And I would recommend getting a new power supply if your current one has a 12v rail with less than 18 amps current.

Thanks for your replies. When I say work badly, I mean that they have relatively low performance compared to other HDDs in a Raid-0 configuration. I have 26 amps on the +12V line. These Enermaxes pack a punch on the 12V rails, but are a little weak on the +5...

Well OC a 3000 to a 3500 is going to take ALOT of cooling. That 3000 runs at 1.8ghz 1.6ghz fsb. If you dont have some of the best liquid cooling components, then dont count on it. I would be happy with a 3200 stable system, 1.8ghz fsb.

Does that hold true for even the Winchester core chips? The 9nm ones... I know that the newest 13nm chips won't budge at all, but I was under the impression that the 9nm chips overclocked no problem...

Well, I doubt that your voltages are at all stable... lol If you move to a more recent system, then I'm guessing that that PSU won't take the load...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom