Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a new PSU...that'd be the only way to 'fix' the rails, there is no real way of 'fixing' it though =/ Other than that, unplug devices you don't need.

http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/page2.asp

that page tells you what devices take out how much of what rail.
So what are your system specs? What kind of things are you running? When counting fans you gotta count any in your PSU too, EVERY fan not just case fans, ANY thing that spins and creates wind current. But a 20C increase (30C if you said it's like 45C idle) is pretty damn insane, 45C Idle alone is rather hot for an Intel especially, or atleast this is what I thought. It took me a total of 9 case fans, SLK-900A, AS5, Tornado CPU Fan, and 2 PSU Fans just to achieve 42C idle on my AMD 2400+ XP because it was running at 64C in a case with just the side panel open, no fans and stock heatsink and fan. But AMD's are known to run hotter, that's why I was thinking your was insanely hot. Definitely don't overclock that anymore. Turn it down if it's OC'd is what I'd say.

I think a water cooling system is in order if you are wanting oc at all. The water system alone would get you at several degrees below normal (calculating with ur current temp), I am not sure how far you could push it since I have never tried water cooling. Swiftech makes some really nice water cooling kits.

You cannot determine the amount that you will be able to overclock as it completely depends on the current hardware configuration, enviromental conditions, methods of cooling, etc.

With the current temperature of the CPU, you can expect to see a decrease in the life span. The temperature is not hot enough to damage it.

To lower the temperature of the CPU, I would recommend changing the current heatsink/fan and thermal compound.

For the heatsink - Go with alluminum fins, but a thick copper plate for the base. This combination makes a very effective heatsink as copper is most efficient at absorbing heat while alluminum is most efficient at releaving heat.

I couldn't recommend anything else but Arctic Silver 5 for the compound. There are a lot of compounds out there that appear silver, but do not have any present in the ingredience. So don't be fooled.

P.S.: Keep in mind that you should have more exhaust fans than intake.

Ok took off all the OCing and put it back to 2.6 Ghz, and my idle temp is still ~45*C and ~75*C when in use. Im kinda confused though, like I dont know why the temperature is so high, ive got a few fans on it, though im not exactly sure because I wasnt the one who made this computer. Im a nub to all this computer hardware, so yeah. What would you suggest I do to lower my computer's temperature? Should I get a water cooling system? will it help much? Did the place I bought my computer from maybe not put something on and rip me off? Thanks if anyone can help me.

"74C, OMG, have u got any fan on ur CPU? my 3.2GHz have touched max @ 49 after I had shown my system to someone testing FarCry on my machine."

Well, you have to consider your cooling compared to his, and what core of CPU you both have. But still, there is definatly something wrong with this picture.

"I think a water cooling system is in order if you are wanting oc at all. The water system alone would get you at several degrees below normal (calculating with ur current temp), I am not sure how far you could push it since I have never tried water cooling. Swiftech makes some really nice water cooling kits."

I read in a magazine that if you use a water-cooling system for anything but o.c.ing, then it's "overkill". ??????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom