Question on dual screens, monitor and LCD TV - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Question on dual screens, monitor and LCD TV

Right so this may be a VERY dense question, I have no idea when it comes to this sort of thing so forgive me.

So right now I'm not using my TV as a monitor, I have a 22" LG monitor. I've just got a new rig and I'm about to upgrade the monitor. So when I have this new monitor it'll plug into the graphics card (HD7950) via a dvi-i to dvi-d cable I believe? As monitors generally seem to mention dvi-d connections and the GPU has a DL-dvi slot?

So once that's sorted I wanted, if possible, to have my TV as a second monitor so I could watch bbc iplayer, 4OD etc on it. Now this is what I'm not sure how to do, is it just a case of plugging a HDMI cable from the GPU to my TV and it'll just work as a second monitor without any tinkering, or is there more to it?

Joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Question on dual screens, monitor and LCD TV

Pretty much, yeah. You just plug in the TV via HDMI, let it install the device and it should pop up automatically. You can tweak settings of course, but it should auto default to the best settings.

This is assuming you have Win7/8 of course, different OS's may have a different setup.

thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
hikaricloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaricloud View Post
Pretty much, yeah. You just plug in the TV via HDMI, let it install the device and it should pop up automatically. You can tweak settings of course, but it should auto default to the best settings.

This is assuming you have Win7/8 of course, different OS's may have a different setup.
Yeah got Win7, again a little dumb here but if I have the monitor plugged in via DVI and the TV via HDMI, does the desktop get cloned and shows on the TV too, but in a different res, or what? I know with dual monitor set-ups you have it where the mouse travels off the screen of the first monitor and into the one next to it, where you can then be opening independent things on the two monitors, but I assume that requires some sort of setting up? What I want to be able to do ideally, if it's possible, would be to have say 4OD's website on the TV, where I'd watch a program, and then have my forums/websites on the monitor.
Joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I actually set up my TV as a fourth monitor recently (well, past few months), and if I recall correctly it should automatically extend the desktop instead of cloning it. Even if it doesn't for some strange reason, it's easy enough to remedy. You just go into screen resolution and change the settings to extend desktop and muck with the resolution. Normally it'll default to the best resolution, sometimes it'll have higher options but they look really bad...my TV for example is 720p, however I can have a 1920x1080 resolution. It just looks really really really bad, lol.
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
hikaricloud is offline   Reply With Quote