Question about Western Digital Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
I have a WD Caviar 102AA from a Gateway box.

I am in the process of backing up the email. This drive seems to make a lot of noise. And since I just have it on my desk with an IDE cable attached will I move the data off, it's slowly moving from one end of the desk to the other.

Are they know to be noisy drives???

Is this normal behavour for WD Drives? :question:

Well, these types of drives are usually suspended and mounted from the sides. It makes sense that the drive is vibrating on the desk and making a lot of noise. As for the particular brand, no, I personally haven't heard about them being louder than others.
Also, if these drives are encased in a manner to be used in an external fasion, they are usually surrounded by material to help keep it as stable as possible. Put a towel down and then place a anti-static bag on the towel and put the drive on that.

-Mike

mikesgroovin said:
Well, these types of drives are usually suspended and mounted from the sides. It makes sense that the drive is vibrating on the desk

I have been known to race Seagate 15K Scsi's across desks. Those babies are known to travel once they get the RPMs up. :D :eek: :D

I have scanned the harddrive, and I have found some bad sectors on it. I think the heads are dying.

Just as well I backed up the data last week.

MicroBell said:
LOL..When they go bad..they all make noise. I had a Maxtor...scare me outa my seat one time...was quite..and then CLANK..CLANK..CLANK..Jezzzzzzzz.

I have a 20Gb Quantum at work that sounds like one of my early Nine Inch Nails Cds

Your seeing the properties of a gyroscopic device in action. Its not complicated, as the drive spins its a gryo and will react to pressures on its surface.

Lol, I have a Quantum Bigfoot that's 6 gigs and it massive. Put two hardrives front to end and that's how long it is. It still works though. Anyways, WD is known to have loud h.d.d's.

I just replaced a WD 80 gig hd on my machine less than two months ago. It whines when it revs up to read anything. Really f***ing annoying.

I get get a little edgy when ever my HDD's make any sort of weird noise.

After all, parts I can replace. Data I can not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom