Question about smell from old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbeAbe

Solid State Member
Hey, this is probably a kind of unusual question, but bear with me.

I have a 6ish year-old Athlon Thunderbird desktop which seems to be in the process of dying(?).

When I turn it on, it makes a low-ish pitched grinding/grumbling noise until maybe 5 or so minutes after it was powered up (it used to be even noisier before I replaced the power supply 1/2 year ago). I think the noise must be from a fan about to die (tho probably not the power supply), or maybe the HD. Anyways, along with this noise there is a smell, kind of difficult to describe, but it's somewhat "sweet", maybe a little ozone-ish. I wouldn't describe it as bitter or acrid.

Any ideas what this smell might be? And my main concern: is it potentially toxic fumes that I shouldn't be breathing? I.e., could it be burning/melting solder with lead in the fumes, etc.?

Thanks,
AbeAbe

if you're experienced enough i would say strip the computer to parts and re-assemble it, cleaning out dust from everything and basically doing all around maintenance like cleaning out and oiling fans. keep all the cables tidy when it goes back together. the sound you're describing definitely sounds like a fan to me.

Okay, thanks for the helpful advice.

Do you think the fumes might be dangerous to breathe?

What do you recommend for identifying the source?

Someone at another forum recommended a drinking-straw stethoscope...

Burning solder doesn't smell like that.

See if any of your fans aren't resonating with your case (screw down the bolts more tightly, try cleaning up the wires around it, punch it lol).

I think it might just be dust? because dust has a funny smell to it which you don't get to smell every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom