Question about RAM...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I just wanted some clarification. There's a couple I work with who aren't too sure what to do with their computer. It's one of those "I spent 2 grand on a great computer yet it lags with certain games" type of deal. The PC is 2 years old, they're unsure of whether it's a P3 or P4... but with RAM it shouldn't matter, should it? Don't ALL Intel's use 240 pin DDR2 RAM? Meaning, anything that says DDR2 240 pin should be fair game? I just wanted to make sure before I suggested them something. I knew AMD used 184 pin DDR and Intel used 240 pin DDR2, but I wasn't sure if it mattered from a P3 to P4... since they aren't sure which processor it is.

No, not all Intels use DDR2 ram, just the 775 (with the odd exception on the motherboard.)

Get them to download CPU-Z from www.cpuid.com and ti will tell you what ram the system already has in it.

Sooooooo glad you mentioned that. I didn't use the scan you told me but when I read this I immediately remembered I had the link saved for the Crucial System Scanner (crucial.com) and I sent that to them. Turns out it takes PC2700 DDR RAM... so I just sent them a link to some Corsair DDR PC3200 RAM from newegg, so I'm sure they'll be happy with that. Thanks for the heads up. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom