Question about processor speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJYelton

Baseband Member
Ok, I am not very computer savvy and have a question about notebooks. I am considering buying the Gateway 200x Notebook with Pentium M 1.4 Ghz Processor and 512 MB of RAM. I love this notebook because due to the Centrino Mobile Technology, its a very small computer as opposed to the much bigger and heavier 2.4+ Ghz computers out on the market.

Now I know that the amount of RAM a computer has is the major componant as to how well programs run, does it really matter that I am getting a 1.4 Ghz as opposed to something at or above 2.4 Ghz if the RAM is equal? Will my programs run that much differently? I won't be running any games, but I will be running some intensive programs such as Illustrator and AutoCad. Thanks for any help!

well....there is a HUGE difference between 1.4 and 2.4

you don't need 2.4GHz but 1.4 is kinda small

I would suggest 1.8GHz or higher

512Mb of ram is good

I would go with the Centrino CPU. The 1.7 and 1.8 are as fast or faster than the 2+ Ghz P4-m plus they have MUCH better battery performance. I agree with 512 of RAM, just make sure you get fast 333 mhz or 400 mhz memory and a good video card if you will be doing graphics intensive appilications. I recommend the ATI mobility radeon 9600

This is only a 1.4 Ghz though, not 1.7 or 1.8 - also, since its a notebook can you upgrade the video card? I just checked the specs, and it says it comes with Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2

The graphics card in the notebook you are describing can not be upgraded. The 1.4 is going to be a little slow for high end applications, upgrade it if you can. The amount of memory is not as important as you might think. 256 MB with Windows XP will be a little to slow, 512 will be much better, however if you put 1024 MB in you wouldn't notice a difference. Processor and video card are the key factors in a computers speed, especially in high end applications.

i think you guys are wrong on that. i've read this several places. here's one example:

"G4 and Athlon (12:50pm EST Wed Mar 19 2003)
Oh and Centrino will royally whoop any powerbook or Athlonk, for gods sakes it's got the roughly the equivalent performance of a desktop P4 2.4 ghz. That's faster than the fastest G4 powermac and certainly faster than any mobile G3 powerbook. - by ds"

this is the entire article: http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Mar/bch20030319019189.htm

i think you should get the centrino. the centrino was designed from the ground up as a notebook processor. AMD XP-m and P4-m CPUs are basically desktop processors tweaked to work on a notebook.

not only does a centrino perform similair to that, but its battery life is 5-6 hours and it comes standard with wireless NIC. they are however expensive.

Any guess as to what a 1.4 Ghz Centrino is equivalent to for a Pentium 4? I keep reading that the Centrino can match up with a P4 2.4 Ghz, but like that quote you posted, they don't say what speed Centrino they are using to compare.

Nevermind, I did a search and figured it out. Looks like the 1.4 ghz Centrino is equivalent to approximately 2.2-2.3 ghz P4. Sweet! Looks like that is what I am getting! Thanks all!

the thing about that quote,... a centrino is comparable to a p4 2.4 Ghz on a notebook not desktop. a pentium4 2.4Ghz processor will not run as fast as a desktop pentium4 2.4Ghz processor.

i think i read somewhere on anandtech they basically strip the desktop processor version and have to bump down the voltages or something to make it work on a notebook. jerry-rigged processors.

whats the other term that means the same as jerry-rigging? i cant remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom