Question about this motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan_Kaizer

Daemon Poster
I recently got a computer with an ECS 945GCT-M (version 2.0) motherboard. It has 2 gb of RAM in it, and there's still another slot open. When looking up the maximum memory supported on the ECS website (and other various sites), they all usually say 2GB, but then say:

"* After ECS validation, this board can support DDR2 max to 4GB, please refer to memory support list"

Can somebody explain to me what ECS validation is?

ECS Web Site

The ECS validation just refers to the RAM that ECS has tested. All motherboard manufacturers test at least a few sticks of memory in their boards to guarentee compatibility.

Likewise, most memory manufacturers have a configurator on their website that will guarentee their own ram with motherboards they have tested.

So basically what ECS site is saying is that you can have a maximum of 4gb of ram, with a pair of 2gb modules installed.

Okay thanks. So I can use any ram that matches the slot then? Or only certain ones? If there's only certain ones I can use, please someone point me in the direction of the list.

worst comes to worst you can buy a 2gb single stick for like 40 bucks and see if it works. If it does great, if it doesn't not a big loss.. Trial & Error my favorite. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom