Question about fsb:ram ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammy2000

Solid State Member
Ok i have a:

Intel P4 2.8 ghz
2x256 Pc-2700 dell default bad ram

Ok, so my my processor is running at the correct speed, 2793.0 mhz with a fsb of 133.
But my ram is running at 166mhz, i think, under the memory tab in cpuz it shows it running at 166mhz. But under the SPD tab it gives me two different frequencies for the ram, 1 is 133mhz and one is 166mhz Each has difference latency timings. WHat does this mean. And i thought that your cpu is supposed to be running the same fsb speed as your ram. Wouldn't this mean that my ram has been overclocked? My fsb:ram ration is 4:5

Note: i have never overclocked before or messed around with my bios. I'm new to the detailed life of a computer.

that SPD is just showing the SPD tables that the RAM is supposed to use as 'Plug and Play' settings. It stands for "Serial Presence Detection" and depending on if your RAM is at 166 or 133 it will set the appropriate timings. You have PC2700 RAM so 166 is exactly where it should be, but for optimal performance you should underclock it to 133 inwhich that SPD table will kick down tighter timings, thus eliminating the system bottleneck

well im getting 2 new sticks of pc-3200 ram soon, and getting rid of the old ram i have now, so what should i do when i get those so that there's no problems?

Same thing as I said with the other ones. If your CPU is only a 266FSB chip and you're ram is 400FSB, then you should simply underclock the RAM to 266FSB and the SPD should tighten the timings for optimum performance

wait, nvm. I made a huge mistake. My fsb isn't 133 it's 533, i was reading the wrong part and i got confused. So now, same question, but remember now i have 533 not 133 fsb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom