Question about Cable/DSL Routers? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2003, 01:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Question about Cable/DSL Routers?

I currently have a Linksys Router....... and the Firewall on this thing is so strict it wont let me run FTP Servers or anything like that on my machine........

I was just curious if anyone had previously used routers and different brands and I was just wondering what brand of router do you find best?

I currently wanna do a bunch of things..... and with a Firewall I can't do what I wanna do..... I know there are routers that will let me do the things that I wanna do......

If you have owned or used a router and you find you can run FTPs and all that...... Please let me know which router I should move on to next.........

Thanks 4 your Help!!!

Old 07-29-2003, 02:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Actually the linksys routers are very configurable. They way you get FTP servers, etc. to work is that, first you have to find out what port(s) the server needs open in order to work properly (usually you can find this out from the documentation provided with the server software). Then it is a matter of going into the advanced tab on the router setup page and opening the ports. If you have questions about that, linksys actually has pretty good support where that kind of thing is concerned. The process is the same for anything that isn't being passed by the router's firewall.

There is one minor kink in that. If you are using AOL broadband there is no way to open the ports on the router. It is a firmware change that was required for the routers to work with the vpn client that AOL uses as part of it's software. So, if you are AOL BB, the best thing you could do for yourself and your sanity is to go with another provider. (and I work for them, too)

Thermaltake Xaser II A5000C (w/ 5 case fans)
AMD 2500+ (OCed to 3200+)
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
1 Gig Corsair XMS low latency pc3200
2x 80g Maxtor SATA (w/ Raid 0)
128Mb Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 Ultra
480w Thermaltake PSU
Video Capture Card ( ROCKS!)
16 Sony DVD Rom
52x/32x/52x Optorite CDRW
Old 07-29-2003, 02:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

What kind of "stuff" do you want to do? It would help so we can help you.
COMPtia A+
COMPtia Network+
Old 07-29-2003, 02:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I have done the Linksys Port Forwarding and all of that.... That was done actually by a Linksys Support person I had called them em up and asked about all that... They supposibly set me up but nothing works still........ I waited and did all this by phone and I told them it still dont work...... running my FTP... and they were like well I don't know what to tell you so If Linksys can't me and they make the damn things its pretty sad..

So I am currently trying to find another router that is either less Firewall Hungry......... I personally hate Firewalls due to the fact that I don't let hackers control what I can and can't do online..... Thats a bunch of bull and I think people should take that into thought...... because hackers don't control you.....

I want to be able to run my FTP Server... I just wanna find a router that will fit my needs I hear NetGear the 4-Port Cable/DSL router might work for me.......

I just don't know anyone who uses a router and runs an FTP Server.......

If anyone can help that would be awesome Thanks
Old 07-29-2003, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to ADZ

I have one of them Linksys routers and i very muchly like it. It is extreemly configurable, i reccomend sticking with it, but just learn about the capabilities of it.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I have a Linksys also and I can do anything with it.

I would wager that you just have it configured incorrectly.
You could say I've been around.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

probably, port forwarding should work though.... maybe your port you chose for your ftp isnt in the range?
Old 07-30-2003, 10:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default linksys rocks

but the "best" routers are cisco
Old 08-01-2003, 02:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Linksys is owned by Cisco
Cisco does the corporate an enterprise level stuff
and linksys does the home an small office stuff
Old 08-04-2003, 01:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to JustSomeGuy

linksys is awesome

Closed Thread