Question on 2gb of ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
Okay now I've heard a bunch of times that running more than 1gb of ram is not neccasary unless you are running some high end programs. I've also heard a lot of people say that running 4*512mb of ram would actually be slower in things like internet explorer because of the memory being split 4 ways.

So I was wondering would programs like internet explorer still run slower if you did 2*1gb? Would that be better than running 4*512mb if they were the same latancy and speed?

Just wondering.

Personally, for general gaming purposes I'd swear by having 2GB of system RAM. Although with 4x 512MB, overclocking is tricky if not impossible. Whenever I'm going to do a serious overclock/try and beat my 3DMark 05 score, I just take the 1 GB out :p

Don't know about the IE thing though, if anyone wants to clarify this I'll have leaned something new today ;)

Either way, if you want to get 2GB of RAM, get two 1GB sticks.

Well, i sure if you want the best answer, you should wait until nubius responds. He truely knows his stuff in the world of ram.

But, IMO - I swear by (4) by 512MB. If your not Overclocking, which i tend not to do. The more RAM the better off you are. (non-OCing)

Recently, i lost the 1st DIMM channel on my motherboard, which left me with only 1gig of RAM -from- 2gig. My system was running at about 25% with 2gig at desktop. Now, it's obviously running at 50%. Fire up BF2, DOOM 3, FAR CRY etc... We're taling 85%-90% usage. Performance is horrible.

Sure I could reconfigure what Programs I have running in the background... True.

Anyway... I've bought a new MOBO, and will rebuild tonight... So i'll be back to my 2giggers with-in hours..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom