quad sli 295's vs tri sli 280's - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2009, 01:27 AM   #31 (permalink)
Inspired by Art
 
tastegw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,400
Default Re: quad sli 295's vs tri sli 280's

Quote:
. You already saw the lists and theres 295's beating 280's and 285's....i think you can drop this already.
you need to go back and recheck the lists.

the 2x280/285 scores were better than the single 295's

Quote:
From what ive seen the 295 is a better oc'er than both the GTX 280 and GTX 285, it just needs more voltage and better cooling.
your not looking in the right places.
the guy with 42k vantage quad sli 295's has the highest recorded core clocks for 295's at the evga forums with 773. only 2 others got to even 760core

810 was the highest recorded core clock for the 280 and 285 each there aswell(evga forums). while multiple people have achieved 770+ with their 280/285's

here is the top dual 285 sli score there

fjehlers-----------i7920 @ 4.189 GHz-------(2)285's 795/1764/1400 WC------P30,090

here is the top single 295 there

iride4u ---------------- i7 920@ 4.20GHz --- (1) 295 760/1670/1270 ----- P27,817

2k+ is hard to gain in vantage when you have allready nearly maxed out your system. both of these guys have their i7 clocked @ or near 4.2...the real difference is not only the shader clocks, but the memory clocks.

both of those guys are not rookies by any means.
__________________

__________________
tastegw is offline  
Old 02-18-2009, 01:58 AM   #32 (permalink)
 
zedman3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,852
Default Re: quad sli 295's vs tri sli 280's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanflow View Post
....i think you can drop this already.
Why? I believe i am correct and im awaiting some sort of evidence to support your argument. And rightly so, as tastegw correctly pointed out, the 285's are capable of a much higher overclock....

Tastegw pretty much summed my argument up though so there isnt much more for me to add.
__________________

zedman3d is offline  
Old 02-18-2009, 02:44 AM   #33 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
ricanflow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Euless, Tx
Posts: 6,317
Default Re: quad sli 295's vs tri sli 280's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastegw View Post
you need to go back and recheck the lists.

the 2x280/285 scores were better than the single 295's

your not looking in the right places.
the guy with 42k vantage quad sli 295's has the highest recorded core clocks for 295's at the evga forums with 773. only 2 others got to even 760core

810 was the highest recorded core clock for the 280 and 285 each there aswell(evga forums). while multiple people have achieved 770+ with their 280/285's

here is the top dual 285 sli score there

fjehlers-----------i7920 @ 4.189 GHz-------(2)285's 795/1764/1400 WC------P30,090

here is the top single 295 there

iride4u ---------------- i7 920@ 4.20GHz --- (1) 295 760/1670/1270 ----- P27,817

2k+ is hard to gain in vantage when you have allready nearly maxed out your system. both of these guys have their i7 clocked @ or near 4.2...the real difference is not only the shader clocks, but the memory clocks.

both of those guys are not rookies by any means.

Look, the standard core clock of the 295 is only 576 mhz.

The fact that it can get close to 800 core is pretty impresive and its a better overclock than a 285 or 280 getting that high.

what hurts the 295 is the 448bit interface...so yeah the 285's and 280's are gonna come out on top in the end.

But all im saying is you can take a 295, clock it and beat 280's and 285's...and its true as youve seen in the scores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman3d View Post
Why? I believe i am correct and im awaiting some sort of evidence to support your argument. And rightly so, as tastegw correctly pointed out, the 285's are capable of a much higher overclock....

Tastegw pretty much summed my argument up though so there isnt much more for me to add.

Evidence is already there, theres 295's beating both 285's and 280's.

I never said the 295 is the best card ever and will always beat 280's and 285's...all i said was it can beat them.
__________________
3DMARK06 = 20,341 (3.8GHZ)



Laptop
P7350 | GTX 260M | 4GB DDR2 800 | 320GB HD | X-Fi | Vista 64

Folding Rig/File Server

M775 | E1200 | Foxconn P9657AB
| Dual 8800GT | Antec NeoHE 500 | Barracuda 80GB | Wintec Ampx



ricanflow is offline  
Old 02-18-2009, 03:36 AM   #34 (permalink)
 
zedman3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,852
Default Re: quad sli 295's vs tri sli 280's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanflow View Post
Evidence is already there, theres 295's beating both 285's and 280's.

Where though? All i see are similar systems with 285's beating 295's in every case.

Quote:
280: Darken1-----------Q9300 @3.5GHz--------(2) 280's 745/1588/1320 Air-------P26,014

295: elcarra21 ------------- Q6600@ 3.60GHz --- (1) 295 741/1656/1215 ----- P23,183
Quote:
285: MisterMagoo -----i7-920 @ 4.2GHz--------(2) 285's 760/1700/1480 Air-------P29,674

295: iride4u ---------------- i7 920@ 4.20GHz --- (1) 295 760/1670/1270 ----- P27,817
And that last 295 score is the fastest 295 on their forums and their largest OC.
zedman3d is offline  
Old 02-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #35 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/
 
Trotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The South
Posts: 31,301
Default Re: quad sli 295's vs tri sli 280's

Let me slow this down and 'splain it to you...

Rican said his card could beat them "with teh right clocks." That means he can OC his card to beat the others. Yes, the other cards could be overclocked to beat his OC, but he is talking stock. Most people have never heard of overclocking and run their stuff at stock only.... just like those benchmarks. once he gets water on his card, he will crank it even higher.

Now cool the jets before I close this thread.
__________________


My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard


R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline  
Old 02-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #36 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets
 
mikesgroovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: MD
Posts: 4,715
Default Re: quad sli 295's vs tri sli 280's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
'splain it to you....
I'll take a glass of cool sweet tea with that
mikesgroovin is offline  
Old 02-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #37 (permalink)
Inspired by Art
 
tastegw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,400
Default Re: quad sli 295's vs tri sli 280's

trotter, we understand that.

but how is it a valid point?

thats like me saying my phenom is better than an i7 "with the right clocks"

****, with that said, a single 280 is better than a 295 "with the right clocks"
but you would need to downlock the 295 for me, while i oc' the 280

its just not a valid point.

if you want to compare things, compare them on simular systems at or near the same clocks, wether that being stock or overclock.
the video i started this thread did that, the links i provided does that.

this thread was started because i saw a video i wanted to share, something i myself didnt know beforehand.


but the fact is...
i have shown that 280/285 tri sli is better, smoother gameplay than 295 quad sli, via video link.
i have shown that 280/285 dual sli is better than a single 295, via score links.

295 quad sli is fantastic, single 295 is fantastic ( i wanted one for myself)
__________________
tastegw is offline  
Old 02-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #38 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator
 
Nagasama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: probably on the lake
Posts: 6,956
Default Re: quad sli 295's vs tri sli 280's

my XFX 260 BE is fantastic IMO
__________________
"nagasama no longer drinks tecate, or streaks out of the night for anything, and he has a fine wife so he has no use for your girlfriend...she is safe..."
Nagasama is offline  
Old 02-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #39 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
 
KSoD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: C:\
Posts: 35,647
Default Re: quad sli 295's vs tri sli 280's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastegw View Post
trotter, we understand that.

but how is it a valid point?
He said that with the right clocks a single 295 could beat a 280 or 285. Everyone called bluff. He was trying to show that it could be done.

Did he say that the other cards would not be over clocked? No.

The point is this. Everyone jumped on Rican for saying it couldnt be done. Not a single person ASKED him if the other cards would be overclocked as well.

He is right in a sense. He can do what he said given the right conditions. No on bothered to ASK him what the conditions were. So was it wrong of him to make the statement or was wrong to assume that you knew the conditions?

Plain and simple he made a statement and you took it to mean something else than what he did.
__________________
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline  
Old 02-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #40 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
ricanflow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Euless, Tx
Posts: 6,317
Default Re: quad sli 295's vs tri sli 280's

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastegw View Post
trotter, we understand that.

but how is it a valid point?

thats like me saying my phenom is better than an i7 "with the right clocks"

****, with that said, a single 280 is better than a 295 "with the right clocks"
but you would need to downlock the 295 for me, while i oc' the 280
Dude, comparing a phenom to a core i7 is way different than comparing three graphics cards based on the same exact core.

Look at naked GTX 280's, 285's and 295's.....they all look the same.

And no, a single 280 cant touch a 295.
__________________

__________________
3DMARK06 = 20,341 (3.8GHZ)



Laptop
P7350 | GTX 260M | 4GB DDR2 800 | 320GB HD | X-Fi | Vista 64

Folding Rig/File Server

M775 | E1200 | Foxconn P9657AB
| Dual 8800GT | Antec NeoHE 500 | Barracuda 80GB | Wintec Ampx



ricanflow is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GX2 Quad SLi power requirements. veedubfreak New Systems | Building and Buying 22 04-14-2008 09:46 AM
Quad Sli PSU help... BigRoc New Systems | Building and Buying 5 03-22-2008 05:03 PM
quad core + sli 8800gtx in laptop????? Drizzt Laptops and Notebooks 22 02-15-2008 10:32 PM
Quad SLi?? NosBoost300 Overclocking and Modding 0 01-06-2008 10:26 PM
Can I install quad in XFX nForce 680i LT SLI? jpuga New Systems | Building and Buying 3 11-28-2007 03:19 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.