puRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
puRAM...well. Liebermann Inc. is sure doing its best to hide the real name and the manufacturer, but we are talking about solid state disks here, not conventional RAM. Some Crays used to have that as an option due to the RAM like performance and the Disk like non-volatile storage.

If you do a Google on "solid state disks" you'll get quite a few hits.

If anyone finds out the actual manufacturer, please let us know.

ok, this is all for real.
The RAM drive is built by Cenatek
Liebermann Inc. is a real company that does some pretty cool stuff, but they are using combined technologies to do it. Their website www.go-l.com seems rather odd and difficult to navigate, but it's all there. The link in my previous post is for one of their systems. Seems they are wanting about $3500 for a base system.
The Cenatek stuff on the other hand is from 600 for the board only (1gig enabled) to 900 for the 4 gig version. the rest can be found here http://www.cenatek.com/store/

Keep a napkin close, I know I did...

puRAM is a crock of $hit. Its probably just plain old DDR400 (PC3200) RAM with some stupid proprietary name.

Anyways, the systems this company "builds" should be taken with caution. The systems are feesable to build, but the parts inside of them would cost in excess of 10000$US (RAM disks are damn expensive.... Im talking high hundreds to mid thousands for ones that go up into the lower-mid GB ranges)

So, admire all you want, but my money is staying in my pocket... where it is safe from potential "too good to be true" scams.

Here is the thing: RTFA's!!!!
You will see all that they have listed is in SDRAM that uses on board UPS and External power. The stuff is expensive, but the advantages are huge!!!!
If you push the limits of your HDD often, you will know this. The cost if prohibitive to the standard user, but for the Prosumer and people in 3D design, video editing... will know the benifits.
oh, and for the scam side, here are a few articles relating the truth behind the "myth"...
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/09/25/liebermann/
http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/009111.php
There seems to be a lot of negative feed back on this company and seems that a lot of it is misleading. One thing that is not fake, is the puRAM (Liebermann's name for Rocket drive) NVRAM setup. This can be seen and the Hardware can be looked at at this URL http://www.cenatek.com. Also there is a review here as well as a slew of others listed on Google

Take a look at
http://www.m-sys.com/Content/Products/product.asp?pid=26

That seems to be the actual puram as posted on the "L" page. The main difference is the fact that the Rocket Drive is battery backed SDRAM while the FFD is Flash memory.

And BTW, the "L" company does seem to exist, but if you try to contact them you most likely wont get an answer...still some products show as "available in december", so we'll just have to wait and see.

Are any of you actually reading those web-sites?

First, I don't know if their "real" or not, but I couldn't imagine a Tech Co. charging people up to twenty six g's for one desktop computer as a "fake" company. C'mon...they'd get slapped with soooo many rich fool's lawsuits......

Second, why do you believe that the Cenetek co. is the maker of this puRAM, I saw almost no similarities in size, speed, or anything else between the two companies' "FlashRam Disks"

Third, the puRam is not a PCI card....if any of you had bothered checking it out, you can order the Mach3.5 with a puRAM with NO PCI SLOTS WHATSOEVER.....doesn't this tell you something?(logic people)

Finally, these Cenetek products say that they can "emulate" up to 4 gigs of RAM and claim to be faster than most HD whereas GO-L says they can store up to 1 terabyte with transfer rates of OVER 8 gigs per second! Sounds way to good to be true but why say it's bull$#!+ when the truth is you don't even know. Skeptic jerks who act like they know when all they did is read the Company's home page ought to do more homework before they start hating!!!! I mean, imagine if it was true! I want one already!

It is the first Super-BIOS™ (IBPT) and PuRam™ Technology featured personal computer configurable WITHOUT a System Hard Drive with all operating system and program files permanently sitting a on a Flash RamDisk. It operates at the speed of the maximum available memory bandwidth up to 8.0GB/s and is capable of over 150,000 I/O requests per second, with an average of 0.0% CPU utilization. No Hard Disk design, not even 15.000RPM SCSI devices in multiple RAID cofigurations can come close to providing a fraction of the real-world performance of PuRam™ Technology.

sorry-thought I'd leave this for u 2 read...read more here!
http://www.go-l.com/desktops/machl38/features/index.htm

Ok, after reading this Discussion a few times I went back to L's website..

It seems that they do use the cantek ramdrive..
And they use some sortof Flash/ramdrive aslo

Well atleast they show pictures of the canteks pci card and a picture of some flash drive.. Who Knows I still want to talk to someone who has gotten a system from them.. If anyone will ever have one..

As I had forgotten about this posting until it was brought back to life, I would like to thank Mike for correcting me on my "ignorance"
I missed the m-sys drives, and do apologise for it. I was just a bit excited over the Cantek product I didn't go much farther in my research.
I have spent considerable time over the last few weeks checking this stuff out and would like to point out a few things.
The PuRam product seems to exist only for "L" as i can find nothing that reaches their size and be available to the public. It may be a product of M-sys, but they are not advertizing the unit for such a high capacity. But, the other problem is that the site (go-l.com) doesn't say that the system will be using the PuRam system as that terabyte. The data is being slightly miss interpeted I think.
From the spec sheet: PuRam-

Pure Solid State/Non-Volatile
33usec Access Time
Up to 8.2GB/sec Burst R/W
Up to 7.1GB/sec Sustained R/W
Over 150.000 IO/sec
Operating System Independent
1500 Gs Operating Shock
MTBF - 2 Million Hours
-60 to +95 degrees C
120,000 feet Altitude

I can't find anything about size.
Now further down the spec sheet-
250GB
7200RPM/ 8MB_Buffer.
Independent Dual-blade cooling fans per drive.

300GB
7200RPM/ 8MB_Buffer

500GB
7200RPM/ 8MB_Buffer

1_Terabyte
7200RPM/ 8MB_Buffer

the RPM thing tells me that these are spinning media. That takes care of the whole solid state terabyte problem.
There is still the issue of where the flash drives are coming from and if they really even exist and at what capacity.
There are a ton of super high end groups making SSD (Solid state Disk) that are running this fast but not at any really large capacity. I don't know what they are using anymore then the next joe, but I can speculate. I was wrong in some of my thinking. If I get enought dough collected, I might have to spen the money so that I can know. it's the worst case of curiousity that I have ever had. And I think only buying one will ever clear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom