Pulling files from old harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreyjames66

Baseband Member
Hi all,
I would appreciate any and all input on this subject as I haven't done this before.

I have a friend who's mobo died. The hdd is intact with many files that she would like to save. This hdd was in a computer running Windows 98 (possibly SE though I'm not positive).

Can I take this hdd and assign it as a slave in my Windows XP computer and pull the files off of it that way? Or will it screw things up having the '98 OS on the other hdd?

Again, I've never done this before so I am a total newbie.
ANY help at all would be wonderful!

Thanks in advance,
Corey

Thanks,
Forgive my stupidity on the subject but, will the files from the other ('98) hdd appear automatically with my other files on my (XP) hdd. Or do I have to do something to access them.

I've never used more than 1 hdd on any one machine so I'm completely in the dark here. (Can U Tell?)lol

Thanks again,
Corey:confused:

Set the other drive up as the slave with your win xp drive as the master. (jumper settings) when you load windows it will see the drive and assign it a drive letter and you can see it in my computer. then you can burn the files to disk for your friend.

or just wait for your friend to get a new comp set the drive up as a slave on there comp and they can do what the wish with the files. Thats what I would do unless they need the files pronto.

There will be no problem with win98 files on the disk if it is the slave.

Thank you!!!

I will probably do as you suggested. Sounds like the easiest way to handle it without spending hours burning c.d.'s for her. I don't know how comfortable she will be with it, but it doesn't sound like it's hard to work with so I'll discuss it with her.

Of course all of this depends on if the other (used) computer she's getting has an extra drive bay.

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it I suppose.

Thanks alot for all the responses!:D

dont need an extra drive bay just hook the drive up on the case, move the data and unhook it. It does not need to be installed inside the case just to pull data off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom