PSU question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Just a simple question, really, buy one that I really need an answer to.

What is the difference between an ATX power supply, and a micro-ATX power supply?

My current PC has a micro-ATX board and PSU. I'm looking to slowly upgrade my PC, starting with transplanting everything into a full tower case. I plan on getting my PSU when I order my case, but I want to know if an ATX PSU will work with my micro-ATX board.

Thanx.

Size and of course total power.

A normal standard ATX will have more connections, more power, blah blah blah

You're running that XP 2000+ in your micro-atx right? Uses a 20pin power connector to the motherboard right?

So does ATX so I don't foresee you having any problems. Might wait for a couple more responses just incase someone has a little more insight

Nubius is essentially right, micro ATX PSUs are basically just smaller, less powerful counterparts of ATX PSUs. They should both work the same with one another, but obviously an ATX board would benefit more from an ATX PSU.

The only PSUs which wouldn't work would be BTX, which use 24 pin motherboard connectors rather than 20 pin.

Thanks. You both have pretty much confirmed what I thought. I knew an ATX PSU wouldn't fit in my case that I have now (eMachine super-wimp), and the case I am looking at can use a micro-ATX board but only holds an ATX PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom