PSU question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasputeena

Baseband Member
I'm going to build an Athlon XP 1800+ machine probably with a geforce 4 or 5 card in it ... what's the lowest PSU wattage i can get away with?

well, if you plan to upgrade the comp in the future, i would say, the bigger the better. you can't have a PSU that's too powerful for the mobo, but if you want to save some money and go with a less powerful one that will suit your comp, i would say to go with a 350W PSU preferably by antec.

Well, I was thinking what would be the cheaper and also, I have a 420w powering my system, often overclocked, and I have never had problems. So I looked at his specs and they seem quite tame compared to mine, so I just toned down the PSU and figured a 350 will do just fine. But yeah, as I said before, the bigger the better.

I would get atleast a 420w like ohGrFreak said but make sure you get one with a good 12v rail, you'll want at the least a 22amp 12v rail, just look at the spec's of the PS and you'll see what i'm talking about.

hmm why are you buying only an 1800? for 30$ more you can get a 2700 off of Pricewatch. I understand youre probably on a budget but it would make a big difference. An 1800 would get outdated pretty quick. if it is possible i would recommend scroungin up the extra bit of money. not to diss that one but..

Well, im actually getting the chip for free ... im in a situation right now where all i'll need to buy is the mobo, the ram, and a power supply.. which i figure will only run me around $100 if i play my cards right ... the machine is for my parents which will be quite an upgrade from their 500mhz celeron! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom