PS/2 Issues... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2004, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default PS/2 Issues...

Hi all,

Great place here with tons of info and I'm glad I found it. I have an issue with my ps/2 ports and am hoping someone can offer some advice.

I recently built a new pc. I'm a little rusty since the last one I built was about 4 years ago, but not much has changed and the process was quite simple. Upon initial boot, the system couldn't detect the keyboard (ps/2) and I kept getting the "no keyboard detected" error which annoyingly tells me to press F1. I tried a few other keyboards and had the same problem. My guess at the time was that the motherboard was defective; and upon closer look there seemed to be a few areas on the board that was black/melted a looked burnt (right by the ps/2 area).

I exchanged the mb for a new one, only to have the same problem again. Just out of the blue I decided to try a usb keyboard and it worked! The ps/2 mouse didn't work either so I switched everything to usb. I'm glad the newer hardware support usb as I recall in the past they didn't unless configured to do so later on.

Though everything is now running fine, I'm still baffled about the ps/2 issue as both the ports will not detect anything and I'd like to free up my usb ports. I've checked the cmos settings and everwhere else I could think of and even reset the motherboard. Any suggestions?

Old 08-24-2004, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to Icedragon Send a message via Yahoo to Icedragon

If you can, update the drivers.

PC Specs:

Intel Pentium 4 3.2 ghz 800 FSB
Abit IC7-G 875p
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB 256 Bit
2x512MB Ultra PC3200 DDR400
Soundblaster Live
Maxtor 40GB 7,200 RPM HDD
Lian-Li PC65 Case
Old 08-24-2004, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

I think the first keyboard you tried had a short-circuit and fried your mobo
TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Closed Thread