Proving a Disk in a different PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

philb101

In Runtime
If I want to prove a HDD is functioning properly by installing it in a different PC base, will it be necessary to install all the new devices it detects on the 2nd PC & can I then re-install it in its original case without losing any of the original settings.

I hope you can understand what I'm getting at, sorry it seems a poor description

Thanks

Well, if I'm reading it right, you want to put a HDD in another computer without installing the drivers, or if you have to, be able to put it back in the first computer without it being messed up. Well, as long as you put the HDD from the first computer as a slave to the HDD in the 2nd computer you wont have to install anything on it, it will just show up as a second HDD or it wont. If you have to put it in a second computer without another HDD as the master, you should be able to install it without installing any new drivers, but some of the components of the second computer may not work. That doesn't matter if all you are doing is testing to see if the drive works. Even if, for some reason you do have to install some drivers, it shouldn't matter. The old drivers will still be there when you put it back in the first system. There, a long post to say little.

philb101 said:
If I want to prove a HDD is functioning properly by installing it in a different PC base, will it be necessary to install all the new devices it detects on the 2nd PC & can I then re-install it in its original case without losing any of the original settings.

I hope you can understand what I'm getting at, sorry it seems a poor description

Thanks

HDD's don't have drivers.
:D
This can be done,just set the bios to autodetect HD's.
No different than getting a new one.
Reading between the lines:This seem to be more than that.
What is the problem where it is now ?
:confused:

if you want to test the hard drive .You can do so with a utilty that boots from a floppy .Go to the Hard Drive manufacture web sight and download the tools needed for the specific drive .Easy to do very efective. Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools

Over to you 101

Cappy said:
if you want to test the hard drive .You can do so with a utilty that boots from a floppy .Go to the Hard Drive manufacture web sight and download the tools needed for the specific drive .Easy to do very efective. Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools

I don't think we know what needs to be tested yet.
My guess is saveing data.
A system floppy does it too.If you made one during installation " that is"

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom