Proper way to clean an LCD panels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shafra

In Runtime
Hello all, just purchased two new LCD panels and it's getting time to clean them. With my old CRTs I always just used a paper towel with some rubbing alcohol on it, is that safe for the LCD screen? I know when I bought the monitors the sales guy tried to sell me some monitor wipes for $9 but I figured I'd ask here first since a bottle of rubbing alcohol is like .99 cents and will last a LONG time :)

Don't use alcohol full strength, dilute it 50/50 with water. Don't use paper towels, use a lint-free cloth.

The wipes are pricey, but they work. $9 is crazy though. I bought mine for $2-3.

Umm, you are not suppose to put ANY ethanol on the LCDs as far as I know, I have always been told to put some water on a lint free cloth then LIGHTLY rub the screen.

JoshSB said:
Umm, you are not suppose to put ANY ethanol on the LCDs as far as I know...

I've heard the same thing, even with some newer model CRTs because they coat the screen with an anti-reflection screen and any sort of window cleaner can discolor it or wear it down. If you go to your local drugstore and look where eyeglass accessories and eye drops are located they sell packages of wipes that, while made for glasses, work great on lots of smooth surfaces. They're basically dryer sheets without the fabric softener. They work pretty well for me.

I will have to try the glasses wipes, I have been using windex and paper towels, and they do a LESS than stellar job on my 19" Sony monitor.... leaves streaks EVERYWHERE..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom