Proper way to clean CD tray and Ethernet connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitaloracle

Daemon Poster
As the thread implies, I would like to know how to properly go about cleaning these two things. Here are my thoughts:
For the tray:
(I am talking clean, not just dust) A moistened cloth. I happen to have one I got with a duster that is premoistened with water and alchol. Would that be apprpriate? I also have some rubbing alcohol (non-medical grade, just household stuff). Any problems whith poping out the tray (wile the computer is running or otherwise) and applying such a technique? I would of course support said try so it does not bend too much.

Connector: I just took a lceaning cloth to it, but how do I remove any static that may or may not have been generated?

Also, is it ok to us water on a CD/DVD? I think I remeber reading somewhare that they didn't really like that too much...

If I'm doing anythign wrong, or if you have a better way, I would like to hear it. Incedendtally, this was more of a question topic than an advice one :)

water is very bad on a cd when it spins. would be just as bad if it dripped off tray or got on CD when put in. alchohol is best cause it evaporates quickly without a trace. i'd think putting one finger on the place you cleaned and one on the power supply or chassis would dissipate any static from an ethernet port.

Im not sure what you mean by "pop out the tray" of the cd drive but its not meant to do that. If you want to separate the tray from the rest of the drive to clean it than open up the case, and remove the drive. open up the drive and remove the tray that way. (don't touch the lense) I would suggest just cleaning the tray while it is in the comp (just don't drip liquid inside, but a moist cloth will be fine)

As for the connector, if you are touching a pole that is grounded (or the power supply of the comp while it is plugged in) you will not generate static. Neither should a cloth if it is rubbed against metal. I would suggest taking an air can or reverse a vaccum hose to blow the dust out of a ethernet connector (not sure if you are tlaking about male or female side. if its the actual plug on the ethernet cable static won't hurt it.)

Water will not ruid cds. Unless it is a burned cd, then if it is soaked in water for a long time it might get ruined because on burned cd's the info is actually on the back of the label, and that might come off in water. temporary water to clean it will not ruin it.

no, i mean it's bad when droplets stick to cd and it spins up... generates the same effect as a frisbee filled with water.

For the ethernet, I was talking about the connectors on the cables. I have in the past tried grounding the cable using a probe that I grounded and then touched to each of the connectors, but I was concerend that said action stripped damaged those contacts and hence destroyed the cable.

For the CD, I meant just open the drive (as if you were to put in a disc) and then clean it from there (in the tower and fully assembled). I would probably need to turn off the computer when I do this. But alcohol is a good idea. The impue (diluted) household stuff will work fine right, even though it is 70% water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom