Program To Force CD Rom Boot? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-09-2005, 05:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3
Default Program To Force CD Rom Boot?

Hi all, I'm having a hard time booting from CD ROM on an older machine. I remember once I having this problem, Google led me to a program that I put on a bootable floppy, which would divert a floppy bootup to the CD ROM. I can't remember for the life of me what the name was or where I found it, but I'm desperately hoping someone can help me with. Thanks in advance.
__________________

momo_izzy is offline  
Old 09-09-2005, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
S e c u r e d
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Somewhere Sunny
Posts: 3,760
Default

Make sure your Cd-rom is listed as one of the first boot devices in your bios.
__________________

__________________
brady is offline  
Old 09-09-2005, 01:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,932
Default Re: Program To Force CD Rom Boot?

Quote:
Originally posted by momo_izzy
Hi all, I'm having a hard time booting from CD ROM on an older machine. I remember once I having this problem, Google led me to a program that I put on a bootable floppy, which would divert a floppy bootup to the CD ROM. I can't remember for the life of me what the name was or where I found it, but I'm desperately hoping someone can help me with. Thanks in advance.
...

Go into your BIOS and tell it to boot from the CD-ROM.
__________________

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
ShoobieRat is offline  
Old 09-09-2005, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3
Default

Hi all. Well I realize the best way to troubleshoot is to suggest the obvious, but really I wouldn't be posting unless I tried those.

I have:

1) Made sure the CD ROM is a master device
2) I've used a different IDE cable
3) I've set the boot sequence properly
4) Checked the CD ROM jumpers
5) I've tested the CD and it is bootable on other systems
6) I've checked the CD ROM in another computer and it works

So now that we have those out of the way, we go back to the original question. There IS a program that you put on a bootable floppy disk that will differ the boot sequence to the floppy, I've used it before but I can't find it now. Rather than trouble shooting tips on the boot sequence I would really appreciate information on said program from anyone that knows about it. Thanks =)
momo_izzy is offline  
Old 09-09-2005, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,013
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Re: Program To Force CD Rom Boot?

Quote:
Originally posted by ShoobieRat
...

Go into your BIOS and tell it to boot from the CD-ROM.
I have had PC'S that cannot boot from CD's before, they exist.
DJ-CHRIS is offline  
Old 09-09-2005, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Erich K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Posts: 241
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by momo_izzy
Hi all. Well I realize the best way to troubleshoot is to suggest the obvious, but really I wouldn't be posting unless I tried those.

I have:

1) Made sure the CD ROM is a master device
2) I've used a different IDE cable
3) I've set the boot sequence properly
4) Checked the CD ROM jumpers
5) I've tested the CD and it is bootable on other systems
6) I've checked the CD ROM in another computer and it works

So now that we have those out of the way, we go back to the original question. There IS a program that you put on a bootable floppy disk that will differ the boot sequence to the floppy, I've used it before but I can't find it now. Rather than trouble shooting tips on the boot sequence I would really appreciate information on said program from anyone that knows about it. Thanks =)
You could go to bootdisk.com download a windows98 bootdisk and run with cd-rom support, then type ?:\setup. ? being the drive letter
Erich K is offline  
Old 09-09-2005, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by LeonTheSane
You could go to bootdisk.com download a windows98 bootdisk and run with cd-rom support, then type ?:\setup. ? being the drive letter
You can not run WinXP setup from MS DOS mode, it has to boot directly from CD which has a microsoft pre install OS on it which guides the installation.

The only real solution is that program I keep mentioning.

While I do appreciate the input and suggestions, I'm fairly confident the only thing that will solve this problem is the boot floppy differing the boot sequence to CDROM, I'm sure someone here will know what I'm talking about sooner or later!
momo_izzy is offline  
Old 09-09-2005, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 422
Send a message via AIM to Kubel
Default

I know what your talking about and I've gone through the same problems. This might not be the exact utility you had in mind, but it's the official release from Microsoft. Make sure you have enough floppies on hand.

WinXP Pro:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

WinXP Home:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Here's one I found on majorgeeks:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Windows_XP...isk_d1040.html

Hope this helps.

~Kubel
__________________
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth
~Romans 1:16
Kubel is offline  
Old 09-12-2005, 09:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,932
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by momo_izzy
Hi all. Well I realize the best way to troubleshoot is to suggest the obvious, but really I wouldn't be posting unless I tried those.

I have:

1) Made sure the CD ROM is a master device
2) I've used a different IDE cable
3) I've set the boot sequence properly
4) Checked the CD ROM jumpers
5) I've tested the CD and it is bootable on other systems
6) I've checked the CD ROM in another computer and it works

So now that we have those out of the way, we go back to the original question. There IS a program that you put on a bootable floppy disk that will differ the boot sequence to the floppy, I've used it before but I can't find it now. Rather than trouble shooting tips on the boot sequence I would really appreciate information on said program from anyone that knows about it. Thanks =)
If your having trouble getting a CD to boot, the solution is not making your floppy drive force it. You've got a problem and should fix that, first.
__________________

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
ShoobieRat is offline  
Old 09-12-2005, 02:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
baronvongogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: United Kingdom, Warrington
Posts: 2,756
Default

if you have a 2nd hard drive you can copy the windows i386 folder from the xp cd or something. Then make a 98 boot up disk so you can get into ms dos on bootup then type your 2nd hard drive d: etc and go into the i386 folder and type winntsetup or use DIR to find the install file and it`ll install windows xp.

Although its been awhile since iv used that method lol so might what to check it before u try . My old pc couldnt boot from cd so i had to install xp that way and at the time i was too lazy to get 6 floppy disks! to use microsofts bootup.

You can also use usb to install windows apprently but dont no how
__________________

__________________
baronvongogo is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.