processors and internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Static_11

Fully Optimized
A few days ago i heard that in about ten years... one processor will be as good as every processor on earth today combined because there advancing in that technoligy very fast... anyone heard anything about this??

And now... the internet lol... this is a convo between me and blitze105

Me: wow... ur dsl's fast.... ( im stuck with dial up that will only connect at 19.2 kbps.... ne one got ne thing on THIS either?? )

blitze: yeah... but think when were older and we have kids...
me: *laughs...*
blitze: *mimicking his "kids"... Man it took 3 MINUTES to download a movie!!! thats crazy... *makes a slapping motion with hand* SHUT UP... WERE FROM BACK IN THE KILOBYTE DAYS!!!!

which will be true...

Moore's Law states that every 2ish years, the number of transistors in a CPU will double. I guess thats gonna have to change when we stop using transistors :/

Heat is also becomming an issue, so we are going to have to move beyond silicon for chips and find another material that can better withstand the heat. And as somebody said in another thread, I do see the day when we have a seperate box dedicated to video processing instead of just a card.

dial-up sucks, i used to have it

hope you get something better soon (btw, dsl's pings are better than cable's, so if you find a 1500/256 or above DSL, then go for it over cable)

thats a problem due to the fact IM IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE!!!! AHHHHHH lol..... god i hope dsl becomes available soooooon... or cable.

imaging downloading a file or summin at 1 or 2 kbps...... ahhh thats my everday crap :(

And now.. the severe beating of a highschool bus driver... :) adam sandler... genious.. <---- off the subject but w/e

Well... Lets see.. They are probably talking about Moore's law. Double computing power every 18 months/dollar cost = 1 1/2 years.

So T = 10 / 1.5 ~ 6.67
P = 2^(6.67) ~ 102

So if there were only 102 processors in the world right now, and Moore's law is correct in the near future, the statement is correct. But, obviously there are more than 102 processors in this world. So no, the statement is not correct. A more accurate statement would be "every processor in 10 years of X dollars will be as powerful as 102 current processors of X dollars each". Obviously the $$ factor is important since even now we can buy processors that vary greatly in power.

This is with the assumption that Moore's law is correct. Actually, I believe in the strictest form of Moore's law it talks about the doubling of transistor count instead of doubling of power.

Anything as simple as Moore's law should be obviously taken with caution. But, I believe it has been "relatively" reliable in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom