Not open for further replies.

beluga

In Runtime
ok so on my lectures slides it says
Processor
-higher clock rate,
faster computer.
Unit MHz.

this is wrong. It all depends on the memory controler, and the amount of L2 cache it has, and also on the rated FSB, and how effecient the cpu is per turn.

Is my theory correct or???

well yea but i mean these days it shouldnt matter.... but when pentium 4 478 existed i did matter with intel... but amd beat them all the time with lower cores...

dude the speed relys on the ghz almost as much as the l2 cache the l2 cache is basically a memory module in the processor and basically remebers the processes you want to do and the ghzs speeds it along if the process is larger than the l2 cache it is transfered to the hardrive and will be acessed which takes a while so if your looking at buying a processor with higher ghz versus one with higher l2 then get the higher l2 almost always

if your just talking about the proc speed, and not system speed but just amount of cycles then yes, that is correct. However, if your talking not only cycles then you have to put into consideration the rest of the architecture.

keyser09 said:
dude the speed relys on the ghz almost as much as the l2 cache the l2 cache is basically a memory module in the processor and basically remebers the processes you want to do and the ghzs speeds it along if the process is larger than the l2 cache it is transfered to the hardrive and will be acessed which takes a while so if your looking at buying a processor with higher ghz versus one with higher l2 then get the higher l2 almost always

Huh?

Anyways, read Nitestick's guide. It will tell all.

see the problem with the statement isn't that it's incorrect. it's that it doesn't give a context. sure a 2.4GHz Athlon 64 is faster than a 2.0GHz Athlon 64, it's also faster than a 3.4GHz Pentium 4. but i'm going to have to say that the statement is incorrect. Intel found in it's research with Netburst that the Prescott core did not scale well performance wise and the larger the clock rate the lower the performance boost over the previous clock rate. i guess it could be theorised at a point there would be little to no performance increase with clock speed anyway.

i would take the statement as being correct if in the context of comparing identical processor cores i.e. San Diego vs. San Diego etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom