Processor Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThE sHoZnAt

Baseband Member
Ok, so I'm getting a system upgrade for my old Compaq SR1020NX. New case, new mobo, new processor. Now the part that gets me is the part about the new processor. I read this: http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20031223/cpu-guide-22.html and the Athlon XP 2600+ has the most value for money. I will be using this new computer for gaming purposes only basically, and I need to keep the price under $250 Canadian. What processor should I buy?

Dude....the article was written December 3rd, 2003...you gotta take these things into consideration when you're buying something like that. Have you ever built a computer before? Because if you haven't going from compaq to building a computer will be like day and night....compaq..dell...peoplePC..all them build their computers so you have to take it to them, so looking inside that case for referrence won't do any good..

If you want to be able to game then I say you got a couple options depending on how good you are with computers. You can take that 2600+ (which BTW has the barton core I believe which is the same as the 3200+ which means if you have good cooling...better than stock heatsink and fan...then you can overclock your 2600+ to 3200+ speeds) but overclocking requires some good general knowledge of the computer.

Coincidentally my brother just got the 2600+.....nothing wrong with the chip at all, infact it is a rather good buy mainly because of it's overclockability. So if you do wind up getting that chip you would need to make sure you get a motherboard that has all the right OC options you need.

I'm looking at that chip...and it's 1.9GHz 333FSB.....you should really get a motherboard that can support 400FSB and Dual DDR400 as well so you can have your memory in dual channel if you have two of the exact sticks... So since your chip is 333FSB and if you got a 400FSB motherboard, that means you would be able to overclock that 1.9GHz 333FSB to 400FSB with 2.2GHz provided you have good enough cooling and your RAM is also PC3200 which is 400MHz. I could be getting off onto stuff you don't understand sorry if I am and sorry if I'm underestimating your level of computers :p

The 2600+ is decent, but you should either look into getting a processor with a 400FSB or look into getting a motherboard which provides adequate overclocking options so you can simply raise your 2600+ from stock 11.5x166 = 1.9GHz to something like 11x200 = 2.2GHz and the 200 will give you that 400FSB....anyway I'm getting way far past your original question so just let us know what options you might consider taking :p

Nubius said:
Dude....the article was written December 3rd, 2003...

Oops.

Have you ever built a computer before? Because if you haven't going from compaq to building a computer will be like day and night....compaq..dell...peoplePC..all them build their computers so you have to take it to them, so looking inside that case for referrence won't do any good..

Well my computer guy is gonna do it for me, $315 for and upgrade to the XP 2600+. And yes, I do know what you're talking about. I don't tend to make my own computers because my wiring is terrible. And I was actually leaning towards getting a new computer next year with an Athlon 64 3200+.

Whew $315? Man I built a guys AMD64 system for $150, helped him pick out the right parts, built the thing, and shipped it to him, $315 is freakin expensive....and the guy I built the comp for went from an Apple to the PC I built so I gave him winXP....your 'computer guy' charges a helluva lot, but then again if you're taking it to a store then I suppose that's expected....

Well it's hard to say man, you really should look into getting 400FSB equipment cause the 333FSB isn't even cutting it anymore, it's getting to the point where if you don't have 400FSB and RAM to go along with it, then gaming will be difficult. Especially with the 64bits coming out and when Intel releases theres whenever that'll be, then all the XP's will REALLY become obsolete. They are the top right now because of the 32bit environment, but it's getting to the point where 3200+ XP is the top and then you gotta move onto 64bit but then wait for it to be utilized....which will take god knows who long.....

Well all I can really say is that you get a motherboard, CPU, and RAM with atleast 400FSB because the computing world is advancing pretty quick and 333FSB isn't cutting it with 1000FSB boards already out and whatnot =/

Nubius said:
Whew $315? Man I built a guys AMD64 system for $150, helped him pick out the right parts, built the thing, and shipped it to him, $315 is freakin expensive....

Canadian or American?

And if it was Canadian, I could only hope to have a friend like you.:)

aww snap I always forget about people being in different places with currencies....but yeah the $150 was American...so that's what like...$185 or something like that?

But yeah the guy wasn't my friend....infact he came to these forums and I gave him sh!t and we fought at first...then somehow I came to help him find his parts and put together his PC for him...lol had never met the guy before :p

But yeah even still......if this is a friend he should be charging you a little less, unless it isn't a very well known friend and it's like his CPU Store and his business relies on you paying that much, but it just seems to be a tad bit for building the comp.....how much is $315 in US? about $250 isn't it? Guess that seems a bit more reasonable than thinking $315 american I was thinking, damn that's just not right.....yeah $250 isn't too bad, but the computer your having him build isn't like top of the line so thats why I say it should be cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom