Which processor is better for a gaming desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
because AMD has superior architecture that can match a P4 with a higher processor frequency. AMD could be overclocked more easily than intel which is no longer true, i suppose, with the new batch being multi-locked.

most important for performance vs price, AMD is obviously the better deal in my opinion. generally intel based mobos & CPUs are more expensive compared to similiar perfoming AMD based mobos & CPUs.

Which would be faster, the top quality AMD or top quality Intel?
Which one would be better for gaming?

AMD has a lot more cost to it. Just not in your face cost.Look up all the junk you need to keep an AMD going.

FX-51 $744.
Athlon 64 3400+ $418.
Pent 4 3.2C $269.

I don't know how long it will be until 64 bit games start coming out, or even becoming common, but the AMD64's still perform better than P4's at 32 bit. I would personally get myself an AMD 64 (not FX) with an MSI K8T Neo board.
and for cooling I would get the Thermaltake Lanfire case, with its own silent but effective cooling

Deadguy said:
AMD has a lot more cost to it. Just not in your face cost.Look up all the junk you need to keep an AMD going.

FX-51 $744.
Athlon 64 3400+ $418.
Pent 4 3.2C $269.

Owhh, lookie there, the FX-51 is $700 dollars:rolleyes: Go figure:p

Right nowif you want to spend under $300 go with 3.2 P4, if you want to spend more then $300 get an AMD.

64 bit vs. 32 bit

not much is different between the 64 bit FX-51 and the high end P4s. Expect to pay a tad bit more for registered memory with the FX-51, though. The 64 bit CPUs is AMDs way of urging the consumer technology world to go 64 bit, and have a goof foothold on the market. It's all about the future with the AMD 64s.

deadguy that is not even a fair comparison. look at those processors you listed. i do not know what you meant by maintenance costs, but for me there is zero costs to keep my amd systems going after the "in your face" costs.

Deadguy said:

FX-51 $744.
Athlon 64 3400+ $418.
Pent 4 3.2C $269.

How mnay fan's you got. What kind of temp gauge you running.What kind of heat sink and fan you got on the CPU.ill bet it isnt the stocker that came with your CPU.Heck you probably got a water cooled one.Intel you dont got to have all this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom