processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinty

Solid State Member
at the moment i have an Intel Pentium III 450MHz processor, but i'd like to upgrade it, i just don't know how to go about it. how do i know how fast a processor the mother board can handle?

Hi Jinty
You have to find out what make your mobo is (it will be on the board somewhere) and model number. Then look for the manufacturers web site and find the manual for that board. It should tell you what you can do with it.

more then likely you'll have to get a new mobo. what do you plan on using it for? just word stuff? oh yeah, welcome to the forums here and i hope we'll help you out in the future to come.

Replacing your M/B is a god idea if the case is non-propriety (dell, gateway,HP). Other changes would include, power supply, memory, O/S, CPU and possibly the Hard Drive for performace.

1) Any CPU upgrade less than 1,000 Ghz will make no difference in overall speed to cost. Most boards in your class max out at 600 to 800 Mhz or less.

2) PC100 or 133 SDRAM memory is installed in your system. The new boards use DDR. (yes SDRAM boards are still out their, but why go backwords). Upgrading your memory past 256MB with win9x is not cost efficient to gain.

3) 350w power supply minimum.
Intel needs an extra 4 pin connector to board.

4) Win9x is not recommended or the boards I buy.
9x will work but not correctly or efficiently.

5) The faster the drive the faster is data transfer. You can use your existing H/D but it will be a performace hit. Also this drive is at or past its life expectancy.

6) Don't get sucked in by a snake. I have had upgraded systems come thur my shop that I would not have done. Due to age or style of system. Remember that most of your components are at or past their life expectancy.

7) I don't overclock.

If the case is proprietory then build or have a custom system built.
The cost may be more, but up-grades to system become endless.

Hope this helps and not create any confusion.

Bill, Zhills

thanks all for your replies. so maybe i'd be cheaper just getting a new computer???

yeah, that's basicaly what you would be doing. do you need any help witht that kind of stuff? what are you going to use it for?

i use the computer for going on the internet, i want to have things like photoshop and office installed, i have a lot of music, videos and images, but that's about it really. i don't play games on it or anything like that. the one i have now just feels really slow!

Jinty said:
i use the computer for going on the internet, i want to have things like photoshop and office installed, i have a lot of music, videos and images, but that's about it really. i don't play games on it or anything like that. the one i have now just feels really slow!

http://www.sisoftware.net/index.html?dir=dload&location=sware_dl_x86&langx=en&a

Go to this link and download the version for your operating system. it will tell you all about your system and what is upgradeable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom