Problems ugrading system

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillBrad

Solid State Member
I recently upgraded my motherboard to an Intel D875PBZ with a 2.8gig pentium 4. Also upgraded the power supply to support the board and I am using 512megs of ddr3200 400mhz ram. My video card is a diamond viper II v220 32 mb with the savage2000 chip set. Whenever I boot up windows xp pro it hangs on the driver file AGP440.sys. I went into the recovery mode and disabled the driver and then it would hang on MUP.SYS. I kept disabling them all until I got to Fastfat.sys. Once i disabled this file it said it needed this file and would just restart. The Computer will not start in either normal mode or all of the different Safe modes. Also it will not start in VGA mode either. I tried to edit the boot.ini and that didn't work out. Played around with the BIOS with features like ACPI, plug and play, etc.. Made sure it was an updated bios version also. I have read a ton of posts online about this problem and still cannot solve it. I also tried reinstalling win xp pro over itself and that didn't work. All of my hardware is seated on the motherboard correctly. I am thinking since i have a pretty old video card that I should get a new one and try it out..?? Not sure if this will fix it since if you take the video card out and start it up, windows still restarts itself at the same driver file. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Can you get into windows at all? Where are you seeing these driver issues?

If it's pre-Windows, did you check to see if there was a upgrade to your bios?

The driver issue is when windows displays what is being loaded as it starts up in safemode. It stops at the agp440.sys file and then just restarts itself.

I cannot get into windows at all even when using safemode.

I upgraded the bios from version p05 to p14 and still the same problem.

when doing something like this... changiing that much hardware, this is a HUGE shock to the system, your best bet is to reinstall windowns ontop of the old install, backup all files and then reformat and start all over again.

Sometimes you can get away with it, but you are better off in the long run to reformat, if you do ever get the PC to boot properly, you will notice that your computer will more then likely be running at half of its performance.

if you have another PC, put that HD in it, get all your data from it that you want/need and then reformat.... will save you a huge headache in the end.... probably not what you want to hear, but it is your best option.

Also when doing this , you might want to reset your BIOS and let it detect all of it manually, its usulally pretty good at doing this...

hope this helps...

Oh shizzel my bizzel! I didn't know you where using an old install from old hardware.

There you go. Good call Beefy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom