Problems with a PC133 RAM in a PC100 mainboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellchild

Beta member
I have a ABIT BP6 mainboard with three PC100 Ram slots. When I install an Infineon 256MB PC133 Ram into this mainboard, it will only show the half amount of memory (128MB) :angry:. This PC133 Ram worked already in an other PC of my colleague.

Does anybody knows such problems ?

If or how could it be solved ?

I raised also a technical inquiry to ABIT but, until now I've got no resonse !

best regards
Hellchild

more than likeley the board will only support up to 128 in each slot, BTW what OS are you running? and im not entirely sure about this, so dont hold me to it, but wasnt 128 the biggest PC100 they made? that would make sense that the board wouldnt support any more than 128 in each slot, right?

I'm with you that the biggest one PC100 was 128MB. I searched the Internet for 256MB Rams PC100 and I found no one.

According to the mainboard manual of the BP6, it should support 256MB per slot. That the mainboard doesn't support 256MB Rams was also my first idea.

I use WindowsXP

best regards
Hellchild

thats odd, because it for sure isnt a problem with the OS as it will support 1 or 2GB sticks per slot, heres a question, do you have any other sticks of ram in the MOBO? if so, what size are they, if not, what slots are empty? have you tried it in all 3 slots?

The Abit BP6 has 3 banks, and I tried it all banks/slots, same result. The other banks are empty.

br
Hellchild

I had a similar problem with my fathers old P-II/333 mhz machine. I put in a 256MB RAM Stick and it only saw 128MB. I think it's the way the architecture of the RAM slot is. If the RAM is double-sided, then maybe only one side is "seen". It could be that the mobo does not support the technology.

I spent lots of time on the issue with my dad's computer. I flashed the BIOS as well. Everytime I put the 256MB stick in, no matter which slot, it was onlt recognized as a 128MB stick. All the other RAM sticks had the memory banks on one side of the module, with the other side being "clean".

That's my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom