problems...keep my BFG 6800 gt??

Status
Not open for further replies.

crow0021

In Runtime
hey guys, i bought this card one week ago. at first, i bought the bfg 6600gt 2 weeks ago. i was having stuttering issues. I tryed to fix it, no luck. not horrible and unplayable but annoying. I returned the card and upgraded to a bfg 6800gt. I can say, it is better. but i still have stuttering issues in HL2 and some in UT2004. HL2 being the worst. but, yesterday I wanted to try Far Cry, downloaded the demo and it was horrible. I get artifacts, horrible sound distortion, and eventually the game will crash if i try to turn the game up higher than medium settings at 1200x1024. this card should handle this no problem?? I have holidays now and I have lots of time. Been reading up on this alot and trying many, many different things. About the only 2 things I haven't try is a clean install of xp and a different psu. I don't want to spend money on another psu unless i'm totally sure it is the problem. i don't think it is because i unplugged my extra hd, my dvd and cd rom. that's like 60watts saved?? problems still there.. and my system monitor shows my voltages never vary more that -/+ 0.5V. i think i will try the clean xp install very soon. so this comes to my questions .. :D .. these are new cards, this is normal for there to be issues?? .. in time game patches, drivers, bios upgrades will iron out these wrinkles? .. cause if this is as good as it gets, i will return my card... sorry for the long post, frustrated..

Before I begin, I will say that I am running a BFG Geforce Ultra and had similar probelms before I upgraded my power supply.

In my opinion, it is your power supply that isn't up to par. I know you say you have 385Watts but is that constantly 385 watts or does it flux?

The card alone requires a 350Watt power supply. I would invest in an Antec Truepower 550 or a Thermaltake 480Watt PSU. It's not your card that is malfunctioning per-se. You aren't 'feeding' it enough power. You will continue to have these problems until you upgrade your PSU.

Yeah, first upgrade your power supply. You will need at least 480 W. Second, if you still have problems, you have a defective card so return it for another one.

If your +12v Rail is dropping down .5 meaning 11.5 then your PSU is getting taxed beyond it's capabilities.

ok ... i'll try a new psu today. that would be sweet if i plug a new one in and all my problems go away ...

how easy is it to change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom