problems with hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mookinator

Beta member
i had my system setup with 2 hard drives, a 200Gb and a 40Gb (windows booting off the 40Gb). both were Western Digital SE (7200rpm, 8Mb) drives. after about a year the 200Gb driver started making a "click-clunk" noise. i didn't think anything of it until i started getting "read, data redundancy, and device I/O" errors on it. i then replaced it with a 160Gb WDse drive. during the initial restoration of data to the 160Gb drive, IT started making the "click-clunk" noise too. then my 40Gb started as well. however it will only make the noise while data is being transferred. just sitting idle it's quiet. with the data cable unplugged it's quiet. i replaced the powersupply and no change. being that i was looking to upgrade my PC anyway i replaced my aging AMD setup with a new ASUS A8V w/ amd64 cpu. on the initial reinstall of windows what do i hear out of my 40Gb drive? "click-clunk". now i'm at a loss. i don't understand how i can buy THREE drives at different times and all have the same problem simultaniously. any light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated. WD hasn't been much help.

extra info
mobo: Asus A8Vdeluxe w/amd64
Adaptec 2940UW (with one 18Gb UW barracuda drive)
160Gb & 40Gb Western digital 7200rpm 8mb drives.

You know, I had the samr problem. With a 40g Western Digital HDD too. Do you have the original bad drive still plugged in? Thats what I did, and I said the same thing that you said about the clunking noise. I only had the power plugged in and it made the same noise. I sent the drive back, and they refurbished it and still the same problem. But I decided to just ignore the noise, and it eventually went away. Ignorance is bliss. Take the original 40 out, send it back. Their warranty is several years, just call WD and get an RMA. It's relatively painless and free. You just gotta pay shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom