Problems with GeForceFx5200

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopyr

Beta member
Hi,

I recently purchased GeForceFx5200 (128mb PCI) to upgrade my dell dimension 2400 computer. Well, after putting the card in a slot i can only boot up in a safe mode (where i installed the drivers and downloaded the most recent ones from nVidia). but in normal mode the computer stops after the loading windows XP screen and goes blank. Does anyone have any suggestions of what i can do? Thank you.

Mat

hmm, check your monitor resolution in safe mode.

adjust the slider to 1024X768 and also the montor refresh rate to ~ 75 (typical at this resolution) as possibility is that you already have set the high resolution of ur monitor and as when u installed the graphic card, its refresh rate is higher and your monitor shuts down as when it loads the GPU drivers.

have you set your AGP slot to be main graphics choice? this CAN be an option in your bios to use onboard/PCI/AGP as first choice then it moves down the line til it finds a graphics adapter, so they may be conflicting try and turn off your integrated.

hey,

thank you for the advice. well, i run the computer from the onboard video display and played around with the video card setting. it is set as my 2nd monitor but the only thing i'm able to see is the desktop background (none of the icons or the mouse pointer show up). I guess that is an improvement but still not perfect.

also, it is a PCI card (my motherboard didn't have an AGP slot - learning about my purchase mistakes but i was on a really tight budget).

what else can i tinker with?

thank you again,

Boot into your BIOS .Once your in your bios look for an option
that will allow you to enable or disable Onboard Video.Usually found under Advance/Device Configuration/Primary VGA.
Basicly you want to disable onboard video and enable PCI video when the time comes.
If you dont see this option or its not available you will have to get online go to the Motherboard Manufacture Website or Dell site
and search for a Bios update that will enable this feature.You will have to research this for yourself .They had 1 availble for a Dell system i had.
After you`ve determined your bios state and updated as nessesary install the PCI card .Simply Turning off your
system putting the card in and Hooking your Monitor Cable to the PCI card doesnt allways work.(Some systems will
auto detect but most will not display anything on your monitor.
Most systems require a series of steps.(NOTE)There are some differences between Operating Systems.This is the way i install
PCI cards and ive never had any problems.
1.Download the latest available Drivers From the Video Card Manufacture .
2.Turn off your system unplug the power supply.
3.Install the PCI Card (Dont switch your Monitor Cable over to the PCI Card)Reconect your power and Power Up the system.
Still using your Onboard Video.
4.When your operating system is booting up it will detect the new device and attempt to install it.Cancel this operation
After your fully booted up do the next step.
5.Insert your installation CD or Execute your Downloaded Driver file installer and install the Video Card.
When finsished and it prompts to Restart your system select cancel and restart later.
6.Shut Down your system unplug the Monitor cable from the onboard Video Adapter Plug it into your PCI Card.
7.Power up your system and boot directly into bios,Disable on board Video enable PCI VGA (if you have the Option).
Save the changes and boot into your operating system.
8.If the Operating Sytem attempts to reinstall your onboard video cancel that operation.
9.Go to Device Manager and check for Problemed Hardware in Other Devices or Display Adapters .
If you see the Onboard video still being recognized simply select Disable Device never use this device.
Not very complicated but it does require steps to be followed.
That should get your PCI card working good luck

Thank you for your advice,

i followed all of the steps. in my bios i have 2 option:
1. auto (if it detects a graphics card it uses it)
2. enable (uses onboard graphics)

well, if i use the auto option- my windows do not finish booting up.

if i use the enable option i can see the card in my hardware profile and use it for a 2nd display but when i connect my monitor to it all i see is the desktop background and i can run nVidia settings to control the card although it doesn't seem to change anything. but for the 1st time i can see a mouse coursor - so it is moving in the right directions.

sorry i take up so much of your time but anyfurther suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks again,

Mat

see if there is a Bios update from Dell that will correct the problem.Also tell me exactly what model Dell it is ill see what i can dig up on the system.Chipsets/CPU etc....

i looked at dell website and their latest bios upgrade is the same i had already on the computer A05 but i downloaded it anyway.

my computer:

dell dimension 2400
pent 4 2.66
768mb memory
windows XP home

what else would you need? sorry as it says i'm a virgin techie.

That card does have a few issues its true, but just be sure you have enabled it in BIOS to be running from the agp slot only. You should be able to pull up a screen with just the basic drivers included with the card. I know with mine at first, getting the resolutions to stick took a little bit, but after going to this site http://www.3dnews.ru/download/drivers/nvidia/ I was able to grab the updated drivers which fixed my issue. Browse there and see if you can find the drivers for your OS.

Thank you

Hey,

Thank you all for help. After many hours of following your advice it finally works!!!! Hopefully next time it will be easier.

thanks again and happy holidays,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom